This is the perfect Red Lentil Spinach Soup for when you are feeling lazy or pressed for time, but still want something healthy, hearty and filling! This soup is SO easy and fast to make and very delicious. It is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free and high in protein!
I’m a big lover of soup…summertime, winter, it doesn’t matter. I don’t believe it has to be chilly outside to want to curl up to a good bowl of soup. Most recipes call for traditional green lentils, which are fine, but this particular soup is screaming for the red ones. I love the flavor and texture of them because they are creamier than the green lentils. I do love green lentils though and use them in my Sweet Potato Lentil Soup.
This soup packs 13 g protein per serving and only 1 g fat!! It is filling and wholesome.
So, yes, try to find the red lentils which are usually in self serving bins, or the healthy food/organic sections of your grocery store. The beautiful color cooks away mostly, so I add a healthy amount of paprika to keep the soup vibrant.
This is the gorgeous color of the lentils before being cooked….
Red Lentil Spinach Soup Ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 3 cups organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup 80g finely diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 heaping cups of fresh spinach
- fresh lemon juice
- Put all the ingredients, except the spinach, into a pot and stir. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, put the lid on just slightly tilted to let some steam escape and turn to simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat.
- Add the spinach last. The heat will wilt it perfectly. You don't want to add it until last, so it doesn't become soggy.
- Squeeze juice from one lemon, as much as desired, to taste. Adding fresh lemon juice really brightens up the warm flavors and eliminates the need for extra salt. Taste and add any additional salt though, if you desire.
Gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free
Nutrition per 3/4 cup serving: 173.5 calories, 13.5 g protein, 28.5 carbs, 1 g fat