1 Pot Sweet Potato Lentil Soup! Smoky, flavorful, delicious and so hearty! Lots of wonderful, plant-based protein! JUST 8 ingredients! Vegan, gluten-free and oil-free!
I just love soups with a little kick, but to really balance and turn up the flavor, I like a little sweetness! That is the reasoning behind this soup I created. It has become quite a staple in my family and is a favorite among friends. It has a deep warm and smoky flavor that is balanced out with the sweetness of sweet potatoes. It’s earthy and the epitome of comfort food. It couldn’t be any simpler either, just throw everything into a pot and let it cook!
EASY OIL-FREE VEGAN SWEET POTATO LENTIL SOUP
I have found many lentil soups to be a little bland, but this one with all of the smoky spices I’ve added give such a depth of flavor that is honestly addictive. The sweet potatoes really compliment the smoky flavor as well. A vegan, gluten-free, oil-free lentil soup that is totally low-fat and guilt-free? Yes, please!
1 pot, 8 purchase ingredients (+ salt) and ready in less than an hour!
I cannot wait to hear what you think of this 1 Pot Sweet Potato Lentil Soup!
1 Pot Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- 1 lb bag of dry green lentils
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 3-4 large garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 medium sweet potatoes cut into bite size chunks
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder depending on your heat-o-meter, I used close to 2
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika don't omit!
- 1 tablespoon sea salt add more to desired taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional garnish: lemon juice and zest at the end
- Rinse lentils well and add them into a large pot with 8 cups of water or low-sodium veggie broth.
- Next, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into bite size pieces (about an inch) and add them to the pot. Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic and add them into the pot.
- Now add all of the seasonings, tomato paste and stir well to combine everything.
- Bring to a boil, stir, and turn down to to simmer and put the lid on with it slightly tilted to let some of the steam escape. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender, but not mushy, stirring a few times during the cooking process. If you cook it too fast, the lentils will not become tender. Add any more salt to taste and garnish with a splash of lemon juice and lemon zest.