Welcome to heaven. My heaven. This sauce has made its way onto everything lately. It’s so good, it’d probably be good on pancakes. Ok, maybe that’s pushing it…but it is pretty freaking delicious. This sauce is creamy, thick and oozing with amazing fresh basil flavor. I thought I would make this sauce more interesting by adding it onto some roasted veggies, instead of just what is expected, pasta.
It goes well over pasta or over roasted veggies….I may have gone a little overboard on drenching my veggies with it!
Let me know what you think of this Vegan Basil Cream Sauce! You will be shocked it is dairy-free with no butter or oil and made with cashews. Leave me feedback below after you make it!
Basil Cream Sauce
- 1 cup raw whole cashews 140g
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth use water for a raw version
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil
- Preheat an oven to 300 degrees and spread the cashews out evenly. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Add them to your high powered blender. You can try a food processor if you don't have a high powered blender, you may just need to run it a few minutes to get it really smooth. Add the broth with the cashews to your blender and process until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and purée until very smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add any additional seasoning, if desired. Pour over pasta or veggies, as noted below. It's amazing on roasted veggies. Garnish with chopped basil and cashews.
- I like this sauce over both veggies and pasta. To make the veggies I used 5 long carrots, washed and peeled and 1 extra large zucchini, or two small ones.
- Cut the carrots in half and then cut those in quarters, about a 1/2 inch thick. Cut the zucchini in similar sizes. Roast them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven to broil for just a couple of minutes until browned on top.