One of my favorite meals before we chose a vegan diet were some chicken nachos at a Mexican restaurant by one of my old jobs that my co-workers and I would frequent. It was corn tortilla chips with chicken, cheese and the most AMAZING ingredient, roasted poblano peppers. I’ve had chicken and cheese a million times, but what made them extraordinary, was the poblano peppers.
This dish is my recreation and I changed it up a bit, opting for tostada style and obviously, no chicken or cheese. Instead, I think the sweetness from the sweet potatoes packs a more flavorful punch and contrast to the smoky, roasted poblano peppers than chicken anyways.
How can something so simple and such few ingredients be so dang delicious?!
I typically don’t eat corn, like ever, it’s just a gmo-infested wasteland. However, I found these non-gmo, organic corn tortillas from Whole Foods and the only ingredients were corn, lime and salt! I was excited and couldn’t wait to try them.
I was tempted to just eat them straight out of the bowl, but the tostadas were just amazing.
A generous squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped avocadao, and we were in tostada heaven! These are incredibly healthy too, oil-free and practically fat-free, with the exception of the healthy fat coming from avocado.
Go make these, you will love these Roasted Poblano Peppers & Sweet Potato Tostadas!
Roasted Poblano Peppers & Sweet Potato Tostadas
- 3 poblano peppers chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (should have about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (should have 3 cups)
- 1 tablepsoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 6 + corn tortillas
- Fresh lime juice chopped avocado, extra chili powder and any other toppings you like
- Peel your sweet potato and chop into 1/2 inch size pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Chop your poblano peppers and place into a separate medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and salt. Mix well with a fork.
- Pour only half of the spice mix over the potatoes and the other half over the poblano peppers. Toss both bowls well with a spoon to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Preheat an oven to 415 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper, do not use foil or the veggies will stick. Spread out only the potatoes evenly onto the pan. Since they take twice as long to cook as the peppers, you will be roasting them first and adding the peppers in after 15 minutes.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes (set your timer if needbe) and remove them from the oven. Now, add the prepared peppers and toss them around with the potatoes. Place the pan back in the oven and roast another 15 minutes. They should be completely cooked by this point.
- Lastly, turn the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes just to crisp up and brown the potatoes. Watch closely so they don't burn. Remove from the oven
- For the tostadas, simply place the corn tortillas (however many you want to serve) in the oven for just a couple of minutes to crisp up. Your oven should still be warm and this will only take a minute or so for them to crisp up.
- To serve: Place the tostadas on a plate and add the potato/poblano pepper mixture on top of each one that you are serving. Garnish with freshly squeeze lime juice and chopped avocado or any other toppings you like. I added extra chili powder on mine and a pinch of salt. Don't skip the lime juice, it is the finishing touch that really enhances the other flavors and makes this dish come alive!
*Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, lowfat
And hey, after you make these….come back and leave me feedback here, it always makes my day. While you are at it, if you are on Instagram, you can also tag me with your photo because I love, love seeing your creations each week! Tag @thevegan8 and also use hashtag #thevegan8, to make sure I don’t miss the notifications! You can also tag me on Twitter too!