Vegan Cocoa Black Bean Chili with Rosted Potatoes is hearty, filling, oil-free and loaded with black beans, red bell pepper, spices and cocoa powder for a rich depth of flavor!
Today I am combining 2 of my favorite things....cocoa and chili. I'm sure most of you have seen chili with chocolate in it before, I know I have. I have always wanted to make my own version and I finally got around to it. This is super easy and of course, just 8 ingredients. When I'm not stuffing my face with this 30 Minute Mexican Chili, this is a wonderful variation of chili.
I chose to go with black beans in the chili instead of traditional red beans, because I figured the black beans would enhance the cocoa and vice versa. Kind of like the whole black bean brownie craze, but in chili form.
Since sweetness compliments bitter flavors, corn is added to compliment the cocoa. This chili is incredibly easy, just basic ingredients and the whole meal comes together in less than 1 hour.
To take this chili to the next level and set it apart from traditional chili recipes, I added roasted potatoes on top. This chili has it all. It is healthy, hearty, nearly fat-free and lots of good protein. You know, because people never think there is protein in plant-based foods, which is crazy. There is nearly 19 g protein in a serving of this chili!
Oh yeah baby. You may have noticed I like to do that a lot in my soup recipes. There is just something about having something roasted and crispy on top of smooth soups/chilis that make them irresistible. Also, you know by now that potatoes are my favorite food.
If you're wondering if you can taste the cocoa, no you can't. It makes the chili more flavorful and have a richer flavor, but you can't technically taste the cocoa. My hubby had no clue it was in there, he just LOVED the chili.
Then, of course, you have to add chopped avocado and red pepper flakes, am I right?
Drop me a line below after you make this Cocoa Black Bean Chili, I truly love hearing the feedback!
More Vegan Chili recipes you gotta try:
- Vegan Pumpkin Red Lentil Chili
- 30 Minute Mexican Chili
- Vegan Pumpkin Chipotle Chili
- Vegan Low-Fat Chili Cheese Fries
Cocoa Black Bean Chili with Roasted Potatoes
- 8 small red potatoes 560 g chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion 200 g, 1 medium onion
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped (mine was huge, so use 2 if yours are small)
- 3 cups low-sodium broth or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt you may need more if your tomato sauce has no salt
- 1 cup tomato puree/sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder increase to 2 for really spicy
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or 2 teaspoons liquid smoke for a smoky flavor
- 3 15 oz cans salt-free black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn 135 g, I used frozen
Optional toppings: chopped avocado, red pepper flakes, tomatoes
- Preheat an oven to 415 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Chop your potatoes and spread out on the pan evenly. Season generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until very golden brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the chili. Add the onion, bell pepper, water and salt to a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chili powder, cocoa powder and smoked paprika (if using) and turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and corn, raise the heat back to medium and cook another 5 minutes. Taste and add any salt/spices if necessary.
- Garnish with the roasted potatoes. If desired, add fresh avocado and red pepper flakes.