I’m a hummus lover. I’m a pizza lover. This pizza hummus is the result of both.
When this idea hit me, I thought to myself, oh man this is going to be soooo flipping delicious! Turns out, I was right. One of the most flavorful, unique hummus recipes I’ve ever made or had. Apparently though, I’m not the only one to think of this idea. There is a few already online.
My recipe is entirely different though. I don’t use oil and I based this recipe off of my Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce while really playing up the hummus, pizza style…..yeah baby.
You guys…this oil-free vegan pizza hummus is so creamy dreamy that you will think you bought it from a restaurant. Yet, it’s sooo much healthier….low-fat and lots of good plant-based protein. Adding lots of tomato sauce and processing it for several minutes makes it exceptionally creamy. All without ANY oil. It doesn’t need it and you don’t need it.
You could say I am quite the hummus fan. Check out my other delicious hummus recipes: (excuse the terrible photos…they are some of my oldest recipes I first published from my old blog)
I can’t wait to hear what you guys think of this Low-Fat Vegan Pizza Hummus! Please leave me feedback below after you make it. I love having the feedback tied to the recipes on my blog, so let me know! I’d also love to see your photo on Instagram, just use my tag #thevegan8 or I will likely miss it!
Low-Fat Vegan Pizza Hummus
- 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed well
- 1 1/4 cups tomato puree/sauce mine only has added salt
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons runny tahini 28 g
- Optional toppings: olives fresh basil, red pepper flakes
- Drain and rinse the beans and add them to a food processor. Process until they are basically broken up and mashed. Add the tomato puree only and blend again until really smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth. Scrape the sides and let it go for several minutes. I let mine go for at least 5 minutes or longer until it was creamy dreamy smooth. That's the key to getting that silky smooth texture. The longer you blend, the smoother it will get. Taste and adjust any spices if needed.
- Place in a serving bowl and add optional toppings. This makes a beautiful display if serving at a party. I added olives, fresh basil and red pepper flakes to mine for a beautiful presentation.
Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, low-fat, nut-free
Nutrition per serving: 264.6 calories, 6 g fat, 13 g protein, 41.6 carbs, 5.5 g sugars