When it’s scorching hot outside like it is here in Texas, I crave salads. Easy, light, refreshing crunchy salads. After my last post of the 4 Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream, I think we needed something light anyways. Haha. This entire salad, plus the dressing, is just 7 ingredients. It really couldn’t be easier. It’s got a lot of wonderful crunch from the bell peppers and sunflower kernels. It’s super simple, but it’s taken up a notch by the incredible 3 ingredient tahini dressing. This tahini dressing is amazing too, it is a little sweet, a little spicy and takes less than 5 minutes to make! I’ve been using it as both a dip for veggies and as a salad dressing. It is even good with french fries. This is perfect for a side salad with dinner or as a light meal. We had ours with some pasta for dinner, but I’ve also eaten this as lunch. Adding enough sunflower kernels helps to fill you up. You will feel really good after eating it too. I always feel so good after eating a bunch of raw veggies. I hope you give this Raw Carrot Salad with Spicy Sweet Tahini Dressing a try and leave feedback below after you do. You can also tag me on Instagram @thevegan8 and don’t forget my tag #thevegan8, or I will likely miss it.
Raw Carrot Salad with Spicy Sweet Tahini Dressing
- 6 long carrots spiralized or shredded (175 g)
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into thin strips (160 g)
- 5 loosely filled cups romaine lettuce roughly chopped (110 g)
- 1/4-1/2 cup raw sunflower kernels
- Spicy Sweet Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup smooth/runny tahini
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut aminos This is recommended because it has a sweetness to it, unlike other soy sauce alternatives, this is what gives the dressing a hint of sweet flavor
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon quality hot sauce I use Sky Valley from Whole Foods, I wouldn't recommend Louisiana hot sauce
- Note: It is important to use a quality tahini that you love since it is the main ingredient for the dressing. I use a very smooth runny brand and it has a clean fresh taste. If you use a bitter tahini, it may give an off taste to the dressing. Also, if yours is really thick, you may need some water to thin out the dressing. I have also made this with creamy almond butter instead of tahini and it is delicious as well, slightly sweeter and definitely a more nutty taste.
- Prepare all of the veggies by chopped and spiralizing/shredding.
- To make the dressing, simply combine the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add water if needed to thin out. I use a very smooth tahini, so it was the perfect consistency. Taste and add any salt if desired. My tahini has a little salt in it and of course the hot sauce and aminos both have sodium, so there was no need to add extra salt.
- I've also eaten this salad with cannellini beans, so you can always add those if you want an extra filling salad.
Nutrition for each salad (based on 4 servings): 114.25 calories, 7.125 g fat, 4.28 g protein, 9.8 g carbs, 5.3 g sugar, 36.8 mg sodium
Nutrition per 2 tablespoons of dressing: 85 calories, 8 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 3 carbs, 375 mg sodium