I was craving garlic and artichokes this week and decided to whip up this number for dinner. For an added boost of flavor, I decided to grill the artichokes. Throw in some colorful bell peppers and onion and it’s complete. It turned out so delicious, I know I will be making this often now.
I make a lot of quinoa for dinner but I thought couscous would be so fitting here and it was so delicious. I absolutely love couscous for its texture. All the colors together turned out beautifully as well.
Grilled Garlic Artichoke With Couscous
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 red bell pepper and 1/2 of a green bell pepper cut in strips I used both for color, but 1 is fine
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of water + 2 tablespoons separated
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt + 1/4 teaspoon separated
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen artichoke quarters
- Prepare the couscous first. Add the first 4 ingredients into a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the couscous, stir, turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Next, chop up all the vegetables and thaw the artichokes in a microwave if they are still frozen. You will need two pans, a large sauté pan and a grill pan. You will cook them both at the same time with the vegetables in the sauté pan and the artichokes in the grill pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of water in the sauté pan and turn to medium heat. Add all the vegetables, except the garlic, and the 3/4 teaspoon of salt and remaining spices. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes and then add the garlic. Make sure to stir often so they don’t burn. Add more water if needed. Cook until all the vegetables are tender, just a couple more minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. Bring back to a boil and cook for another minute or two until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat up the grill pan over medium high with 2 tbsp water and add the artichokes. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir occasionally cooking the artichokes on each side until golden brown. Now add the artichokes to the vegetable mixture and stir.
- Combine all the vegetables with the couscous in a large serving bowl and mix until well combined.