Make your very own homemade Cajun Spice Seasoning in just a few minutes with easy everyday pantry spices. This is a salt-free version so you can control the amount of sodium/salt that goes into your dish or meal. It is full of great depth of flavor and a kick of heat to enhance any recipe you add this blend to!
CAJUN SPICE SEASONING
Married to a native Louisianan, I’m no stranger to Cajun food. We’ve eaten tons of it for years and there is no better place to eat authentic Cajun food than in Louisiana. But even before I met my husband 18 years ago, my mom made Cajun-inspired dishes as well growing up. In fact, classic Red Beans & Rice was one of my favorite meals she made. I even have a version in my cookbook.
I wanted to share my homemade Cajun Spice Seasoning with you all here to use in any recipes where that flavor is called for or desired. This recipe is actually in my cookbook already, but wanted to include it here to reference recipes going forward.
Most store versions have added salt or preservatives which can really make some dishes turn out way too salty. So, my version is salt-free so that a good amount of the spice can be added to dishes for optimal flavor, without that overly salty bite.
- Regular paprika (not smoked or hot)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Mix everything into a bowl with a whisk until well mixed or add the spices to a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until combined.
WAYS TO USE THIS CAJUN SEASONING
Sub within any recipe calling for Cajun seasoning, but keep in mind, since mine has no added salt, you will need to adjust the salt level accordingly.
MORE HOMEMADE SPICE SEASONING RECIPES
- Homemade Chili Powder Recipe
- Golden Mix Spice Mix
- Gingerbread Spice Mix
- Italian Seasoning
- Curry Powder
- Chai Spice Blend
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend (There is one featured in my cookbook, but my more current favorite is this one)
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Cajun Spice Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons regular paprika (not smoked or hot)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (use 1 1/2 for a milder heat)
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk very well. Alternatively, add them to a small jar with a fitted lid and shake vigorously until well combined.