This Vegan Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Kale Soup is full of so much flavor from a rich dark veggie stock, lots of fresh ginger, fresh garlic and hearty veggies. This is one of my all-time favorite soups. The flavor is amazing and it is so filling and healthy, as well as vegan and oil-free.
CHICKPEA SWEET POTATO KALE SOUP
Some of the best recipes contain the combo of chickpeas, sweet potatoes and kale or spinach. The combo is just amazing. This soup is a bit different as it is enhanced with lots of ginger and garlic. I absolutely love ginger. I was craving soup this past weekend, so I decided to make a soup infused with ginger and vegetables I already had stocked in my fridge. It’s also a great way to throw in extra protein from the chickpeas. I have lots of vegan chickpea recipes if you love them too!
Let me tell you…this is one of the best soups I’ve had. It’s not a thick, creamy type of soup. It is a hearty soup with an intense broth flavor. The broth is everything, so use a high quality, strong broth. It’s the kind of broth that warms your whole body.
It’s so good, I just wanted to drink it. I’m totally serious. It’s full of a strong ginger flavor, aromatic garlic and a spicy kick.
I kept it very simple…not too many ingredients, yet the flavor is incredible. Adding chickpeas, sweet potatoes and kale make it filling, hearty and incredibly healthy. If you love that combo as much as I do, then you must try this Sweet Potato Chickpea and Spinach Coconut Curry!
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup
- Low-fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Lazy Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Sweet Potato & White Bean Curry Soup
- Lazy Day Tomato Bisque
- Easy Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- Healthy Potato Carrot Tomato Soup
Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
- 4 1/2 cups no sodium DARK vegetable broth/stock (I highly recommend Kitchen Basics, it is a strong dark broth that isn't watered down. A quality rich broth is needed here for the right flavor!)
- 1 packed cup (160g) finely diced white onion
- 4 extra large garlic cloves, minced (two tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, minced (don't skimp on this!)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 to 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt (the broth I used has NO SODIUM in it, so you may need less salt, depending on the broth used. Start with 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- two 15 oz cans organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- 4 heaping cups roughly chopped fresh kale, stems removed*
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder-optional
- I use this scale.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes, onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a large pot, add the broth, onion, ginger, garlic, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and turn to simmer for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are almost fully tender.
- Add the chickpeas (drained & rinsed), nutritional yeast and kale. Return the lid and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Taste and add any more salt, if desired. I added some chili powder for a little heat at the end.
*If you are not a big fan of kale, feel free to sub with spinach instead.
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.