Incredibly easy homemade Chocolate Cinnamon Granola that is oil-free, dairy-free and healthy because it is made with wholesome ingredients. This granola has a rich chocolate sweet flavor and a nutty addition of almonds. It makes a lovely gift as well!
I love to snack. In the past my snacking involved too many chips, chocolate or crackers and cheese. Nowadays, not so much. The Funyuns would tend to leave me with an upset stomach…hmm wonder why! These days I snack on almonds, carrots, kale chips or this yummy granola. I have an insane sweet tooth so I came up with this recipe to satisfy it without the guilt. It has my two favorite flavors in it, chocolate and cinnamon. Combine the two and you’re in heaven. Like I mentioned before, I have a slight obsession with chocolate so this granola had to have cocoa in it! I personally use dark cocoa, not the regular. It has a much more intense flavor, which in my opinion, just taste better for granola. So if you can, use the dark cocoa.
To give these as a gift, it only takes a few inexpensive, decorative items. Select a small glass jar, some decorative ribbon, a rubber band and decorative fabric. I just cut the fabric in a circle a couple inches larger than the circumference of the jar top. Secure the fabric around the jar with a rubberband and decorate with ribbon. I used a wire ribbon here to hold the shape of the bow. Very simple, colorful and tasty looking! Most of all….it says “personal”! I got all of these supplies at Michael’s craft store except the fabric was from Hancock Fabrics.
Chocolate Cinnamon Granola
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels or chopped pecan pieces
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa (better flavor than regular cocoa If you use regular cocoa, you will need more, maybe 2 tbsp extra or so)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees and Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In two separate bowls, combine the dry and then the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet into the dry and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread the granola out evenly onto the lined pan and press down with the back of the spoon to make the granola stick. It should be about 1/2 inch high for nice size chunks.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until very golden brown and firm. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Let cool for 15 minutes or so. It will harden as it cools.
- Once cool, break into chunks. Store in a ziplock bag or sealed container. It also makes a great healthy gift as you can see what I did here in the photo!
- Tip: As an option you can throw in some chocolate chips. Do this as soon as you remove from the oven by just dropping them over the cooked granola. It will slightly melt into the granola.