This Vegan Cumin Lime Pea Soup is so delicious, is dairy-free, oil-free and requires just 5 ingredients (+ salt & pepper) to make it! It is loaded with protein and flavor and takes just minutes to prepare!
Did you eat a lot of candy last night on Halloween? We took my daughter, Olivia, for the first time “trick or treating” last night. She had a ball with her friends. I’m sure she was confused as to why we kept going to different houses and knocking on doors, but by the 5th house, she was opening up her bag for the candy, haha!
She dressed up as a mini Audrey Hepburn!
I like to go all out…it’s fun for me….so I made the dress, necklace and I even got the black sunglasses and crown like Audrey wore in the movie, but forgot to bring the sunglasses. Darn.
Anyways, if you ate a little too much candy over Halloween, then today you can get back on track with this hearty, healthy soup. It is packed full of protein and nutrition and tastes amazing, with just 5 ingredients! Don’t let the short ingredient list fool you, it tastes divine!
You will only need:
- ground cumin
- red onion
- vegetable broth
As part of my commitment to my daughter and to my readers with children, I created this delicious soup as a way to get a whole bunch of healthy peas and onions into your little ones. But please don’t be mistaken…I enjoyed this probably the most. This is NOT just for kids, it is absolutely delicious and reminded my husband of a gourmet soup that you’d order in a restaurant. It just so happens to have the kid-friendly stamp of approval, as my daughter loves it.
The combination of the sweet peas and red onion is amazingly complimented by the smokiness and warmth from cumin spice. It lingers in the back of your throat and is so comforting.
Cumin Lime Pea Soup
- One 16 oz bag of frozen organic peas
- 1 small red onion sliced, about 1 1/2 cups (make sure to get about this amount)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper use 1/4 teaspoon if your kids prefer food mild
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Garnish: lime zest and flaxseed crackers
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees and line a 9 inch round cake pan with a large piece of foil hanging over the sides.
- Place the frozen peas on the bottom of the foil, topped with the sliced onion, cumin, salt and pepper. Don't worry about mixing it because it will be pureed later. Fold over the foil and place another piece on top loosely.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the onions are tender and sizzling.
- Add all the roasted veggies to a blender with the broth and lime juice. Blend until pureed and smooth, about 30 seconds or so. Taste and add any more salt or lime juice, if desired. If you want a thinner soup, add more broth. I thought the consistency was perfect. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge for 1 hour. It honestly tastes amazing warm and chilled.