Sometimes, you just don’t want to fool with cutting up a bunch of veggies. In fact, I know most people with kids like super easy meals. This is the premise behind my new site afterall. This dish is really delicious, easy and a one pot meal. It’s perfect for when you want something healthy and delicious and are pressed for time (or just feeling lazy). This of course is a vegan and oil-free version, whereas traditional dirty rice recipes are full of meat.
It is one that I’ve been making for the past year, at least. It is a staple in my home and we eat it weekly. We have deemed quinoa the superfood in our home. I’m totally serious. As some of you know, my husband suffers from gout….or did. He hasn’t had a flareup in a year, which is remarkable and due to our vegan lifestyle. If he happens to feel some pain coming on, I make a pot of this and no lie, it is gone.
Quinoa is very alkalizing for his body and it is amazing stuff. It is also an incredible source of protein. We much prefer red quinoa for it’s texture and taste. It is perfect for these kind of flavors.
Some people aren’t fans of quinoa because of it’s texture. I must admit, I’m not crazy about the texture either, as it gets a bit redundant eating it. Adding rice to it makes it so much better and it doesn’t feel like you are eating mush. My husband loves this stuff.
There is no cutting of any veggies required to make this. Of course, if you want to add veggies, go ahead. The only thing I ever add is fresh lemon juice and sliced avocado right before we eat. Sometimes, I will broil a bell pepper and add that.
This makes a huge pot, so it’s great for a large family or using for leftovers and lunches. I really hope you love this 1 Pot Quinoa Dirty Rice, be sure to leave me feedback below after you make it!
1 Pot Quinoa Dirty Rice
- 1 cup slow-cooking long grain brown rice
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups red quinoa rinsed well
Optional garnish: Fresh lemon juice, avocado, bell peppers or anything you like.
- Add all of the ingredients listed, except the quinoa, to a large pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, return the lid, turn down to simmer and cook an additional 25-30 minutes until all of the water has evaporated.
- Turn the heat off and fluff with a fork. Garnish with fresh lemon juice and sliced avocado, if desired. Feel free to add any veggies you like.
*Gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free
*Nutrition per 1 cup serving: 177.4 calories, 2.5g fat, 5g protein, 33.8 carbs