An incredibly healthy, easy and delicious Vegan Kale Salad with protein rich white beans, that are high in fiber and plant-based protein. The Oil-free Almond Butter Dressing is lick-the-bowl delicious!
VEGAN KALE SALAD
Packed with healthy plant protein, fiber, healthy carbs, this Vegan Kale Salad with white beans is so satisfying. It is made with Oil-free Almond Butter Dressing that is so delicious and filling!
The dressing is slightly sweet, so it balances out the bitterness of kale. Flavorful and satisfying; no boring salad here!
You only need 7 main ingredients for this healthy kale salad! Full recipe details on the recipe card below.
- White beans
- Baby kale: I much prefer the texture and flavor of baby kale for this recipe. It is softer and easier to eat and goes best with the other ingredients.
- Roasted almond butter: Roasted is creamier, smoother and much richer in flavor.
- Lemon juice
- Pure maple syrup
- Garlic powder
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN KALE SALAD
Step 1: Mix all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Step 2: Mix the almond butter dressing ingredients in a cup with a whisk until smooth. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
USING NUT BUTTERS TO MAKE OIL-FREE SALAD DRESSINGS
I love making homemade nut butters. Pecan butter and almond butter and cashew butter and walnut butter are my favorites I make quite often. I love to use them in dressings or in baking (my epic vegan cinnamon rolls use walnut butter!). I always roast the nuts first because they are more flavorful and become sweeter, which works really well in a dressing. Also, roasting them brings out the oils and makes processing them easier. It is also healthier to use nuts versus oil, since they are a whole food and full of nutrients. For more oil-free tips and tricks, check out How to Cook and Bake Without Oil.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ROASTED ALMOND BUTTER
I often make my own almond butter because it’s cheaper and I love the flavor. It is also perfect for making the Oil-free Almond Butter Dressing. Although, you don’t have to if you don’t want to for this dressing! For a more detailed post on how to make the almond butter and ways to use it, check out my almond butter post.
First, preheat an oven to 300°F. Next, add 2 cups of whole raw almonds on a pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 12-15 minutes until them start to smell really fragrant. Be careful to watch them so they don’t burn.
Process them in a food processor for about 5 minutes, scraping the sides as needed during the process. You will have to do this a few times in the beginning. It will seem like it is just going to stay a flour, but trust me, after a few minutes it will start to come together. Once it starts to turn into butter, let it go until it becomes super duper creamy. Don’t stop too soon or it won’t become silky smooth. Once it is easily dripping off of a spoon, then it is done. The roasted almonds give a wonderful sweetness. Yum.
MORE VEGAN SALAD RECIPES
- Vegan Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
- Roasted Artichoke Salad
- Barbecue Potato Salad
- Carrot Salad with Spicy Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Reduction
- Southwest Lime Corn Salad
Vegan Kale Salad with Almond Butter Dressing
- 5 oz package of baby kale (or spinach if preferred)
- 1 15 oz can organic white northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup (160g) baby carrots, shredded or grated
Almond Butter Dressing (makes 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons (48g) roasted creamy almond butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (23g) fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45g) water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine salt, to desired taste
- In a large bowl, add all of the prepared salad ingredients and toss well.
- In a cup, add the dressing ingredients and whisk well with a fork or small whisk until completely smooth. Taste and add any more salt if desired. Drizzle over salad.
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.