Better than store-bought, this Homemade Apple Pie Spice is perfect for adding flavor to all of your desserts and baked goods, especially apple pie! Only 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to make!
HOMEMADE APPLE PIE SPICE
I have a little obsession with making homemade spice blends. I have so many of them here on the blog and in my cookbook. This homemade apple pie spice was requested by one of my longtime readers. Funny enough, it’s one of the most simple blends to create. You can find this at most grocery stores, especially around the holidays, but it’s so easy to make at home, no need to purchase any!
I also, as with all of my blends, create it to have the best flavor and it is SO delicious.
WHAT IS IN APPLE PIE SPICE
Every blend I’ve ever seen at the store has the following:
These are the 3 spices in most blends, like McCormick and Kroger brands for example. But for my recipe, I used those with the ratios I felt were best and also added ground ginger. Ginger adds an extra layer of flavor and spice that I feel is missing in standard apple pie spice.
I stuck with these 4 spices because I didn’t want to go overboard with the apple pie spice flavor. In other words, if you start adding cardamom and cloves and all of that, then you are leaning more towards chai or pumpkin bread. And well, I already have those blends on the blog, haha.
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground allspice
- Ginger powder
WAYS TO USE THIS APPLE PIE SPICE
- Pie: This one is obvious, use it in apple pie recipes. Like these vegan apple hand pies.
- Bread: Add some to holiday quick breads for added oomph. It would be delicious in my Vegan Applesauce Quick Bread. Just swap it for the cinnamon.
- Pancakes: Take your morning breakfast to the next level by adding a teaspoon or two to a batch of homemade vegan pancakes.
- Muffins: You could add this to cookies or replace the cinnamon called for in these vegan streusel muffins. I think it will work really well in recipes that have applesauce in them, to really amplify the delicious apple flavor.
- Oatmeal: I also love this in oatmeal and on almond butter toast.
- Vegan apple crisp: Replace the cinnamon and allspice called for in the recipe and replace with apple pie spice instead.
MORE HOMEMADE SPICE RECIPES
- Chai spice
- Golden Milk Spice Mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- Gingerbread Spice Mix
- Cajun Spice Seasoning
- Italian Seasoning
- Curry Powder
- Chili Powder
Homemade Apple Pie Spice
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk very well. Alternatively, what I prefer, is to add them to a small mason jar with a lid and shake vigorously until well mixed. Store for 6 months in the pantry. Use in any recipe calling for apple pie spice or anything you want to enhance the flavor. Oatmeal, Vegan Apple Crisp, Pancakes or Streusel Muffins! See the post for several recommended recipes, ideas and amounts.
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.