Easy Homemade Healthy Enchilada Sauce is vegan, oil-free and easy to make in 10 minutes! Made with chili powder, maple syrup and spices. Perfect for vegan enchiladas!
HOMEMADE HEALTHY ENCHILADA SAUCE
One of my absolute favorite things in the world is enchiladas. I grew up eating them and I just love that spicy enchilada sauce that is smothered all over the corn tortillas. I love the enchilada sauce that has a very slight sweet note to it. Well, STOP buying store-bought if you do and make this vegan healthy homemade enchilada sauce, it is to die for!
I used to buy the canned kind and use it for my enchilada dishes years back, but these days I just can’t do it. The canned stuff has so many nasty ingredients and oil. This vegan enchilada sauce is fat-free and oil-free! In addition, this homemade enchilada sauce takes a whopping 10 minutes to make. Now, we’re talking.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
Add tomato sauce, water, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, brown rice flour, salt and maple syrup to a small pot. Whisk very well.
Heat over the stove on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, whisking continuously until thickened some. Let cool.
This vegan red enchilada sauce is perfect for making vegan enchiladas or even a casserole!
I’ve been making this homemade enchilada sauce for years now and I also like to dip potato wedges in it!
Can’t wait to hear what you think of this Vegan Homemade Enchilada Sauce! Be sure to leave feedback below after you make the sauce and what ways you used it or if you make the potatoes as well! I’d love to see your creations on Instagram. Add my hashtag #thevegan8 to your captions, so I don’t miss the notifications.
Homemade Healthy Enchilada Sauce (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup (120g) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (240g) water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, this will vary depending on your tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons (20g) brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon (20g) pure maple syrup
TO MAKE ENCHILADAS
- You can also use this sauce for homemade enchiladas. It's what I use, but I would double the sauce ingredients, just to ensure you have plenty for a large batch.
- Add all of the enchilada sauce ingredients to a small pot and whisk until well mixed. Turn to medium-high heat and once boiling, whisk it continuously for 3-5 minutes until it has thickened some. Remove from heat let it cool.