Make your own Homemade Brown Sugar using coconut sugar instead of cane sugar! Add molasses and that’s it! Vegan and just as delicious as regular brown sugar. Choose from plain, cinnamon, pumpkin spice or vanilla flavors. It is delicious sprinkled on toast or in oatmeal!
HOMEMADE COCONUT BROWN SUGAR
For all those times you didn’t want to use refined brown sugar in a recipe, I found a solution for you! This refined sugar-free Homemade Coconut Brown Sugar produces the same exact result in baking and tastes every bit as delicious!
You probably already know that brown sugar is made from just 2 ingredients, refined white table sugar and molasses. There is different types of brown sugar depending on the depth of the refining process (raw sugar, turbinado, etc.) but most likely the store bought stuff you find, is just white sugar plus molasses. If you do buy white sugar, make sure it is labeled vegan, as many white sugars are not since they are processed with animal bone char, which gives it a white appearance. We definitely want to have some vegan sugar to use.
I love the flavor and texture of brown sugar because it is delicious, moist and gives a wonderful depth of sweetness and a touch of moisture to baked goods. However, I don’t really like to use those types of refined sugars in my baking anymore, except when it’s crucial to the texture, color of flavor, like in these vegan vanilla wedding cupcakes.
So, when I was testing a recipe with it and wanted to use light brown sugar and not syrup, for texture reasons, I already knew people would immediately ask me about subbing the brown sugar. So, I decided right then and there to try to just simply mix coconut sugar with molasses and see how it tastes. One word: amazing. So caramel-ish and sweet and has the same exact texture and look as traditional brown sugar, but a much better alternative. Coconut sugar is still sugar, duh, but supposedly from everything I’ve read, it is a lower glycemic index and has some nutrients in it, unlike refined sugar does.
So, you only need like a minute to make this stuff and that’s it. Store it in your pantry just like you would regular brown sugar.
I decided to make a few different flavors just for fun, because, why not?
Pumpkin spice brown sugar, cinnamon brown sugar and vanilla brown sugar. Just store all of these and use them for coffees, teas, oatmeal, baking, etc. Just a quick measure and it’s easy peasy.
I hope you all enjoy this easy DIY Homemade Vegan Coconut Brown Sugar! Let me know if you try it below and any flavors you try!
RECIPES TO USE THIS BROWN SUGAR IN:
How To Make Homemade Brown Sugar (3 Flavors)
- 1 1/4 cups organic coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons regular Grandma's unsulphured molasses (do not use blackstrap, it is way too strong)
- optional flavors: 1 teaspoon vanilla powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Use the 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of brown sugar. Use them for coffees, teas, oatmeal, baking, etc.
- Just simply add the sugar and molasses to a bowl and using a fork, mix it until it all comes together and becomes damp and resembles brown sugar. It may seem too dry at first, but keep mixing and mashing/pressing it with the back of your fork and it will happen. Make sure to scrape all the molasses off the bowl and fork. Store in a tightly sealed container to keep it moist, or it can harden and dry out (just like regular brown sugar). But save it for tomorrow's new recipe!
- This yields a very similar to taste to light brown sugar, which I prefer, if you want it darker, add a tiny bit more molasses.