This easy Instant Pot Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is bursting with flavor and is naturally gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free healthy, just 8 simple ingredients and made with whole foods!
INSTANT POT VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP
My love for sweet potatoes abounds. May of you all know that it is basically my favorite food. The nutritional aspects of sweet potatoes is high! They are full of fiber, potassium, Vitamin A, healthy carbs and are a low-fat food. Not to mention, they are absolutely delicious and just about the most versatile ingredient for vegan recipes.
I use sweet potatoes in everything from sweet potato curry to this instant pot curry to baking, and even in ice cream. In fact, I have an entire collection of sweet potato dessert recipes if you love them as much as I do.
For those who do not have an instant pot, be sure to check out the stovetop version here! If you love using your instant pot, try this Cajun pasta, Italian pasta and Smoky BBQ Lentils all made in the instant pot!
This instant pot vegan sweet potato soup is super creamy, thick, satisfying and has no nuts, no oil and no dairy! It gets the creamy flavor and texture from using yukon gold potatoes. These type of potatoes are naturally buttery tasting and help to thicken up the soup when pureed and give a luxurious texture.
- sweet potatoes
- yukon gold potatoes
- nutritional yeast
- low-sodium vegetable broth
- tomato paste
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO SOUP
Step 1: Cook the onions and garlic in the instant pot at the normal saute setting. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often until the onions are tender, stirring a few times during the process for even cooking. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add a tiny amount of water, as needed, to keep the onion from sticking/burning. Turn off the saute mode.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients and stir very well. (except the green onions)
Step 3: Seal the pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and puree the soup until smooth.
Step 4: While the soup is cooking, roast the additional potatoes to top the soup with.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- Low-Fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chunky Potato and Zucchini Soup
- Vegan Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Vegan Lentil Lemon and Turmeric Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 8 Ingredient Lentil Soup (Reader fave!)
Instant Pot Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 packed cup (160g) diced white or yellow onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 pounds (1.75 lbs on the scale) peeled and chopped yukon gold potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces (plus 3 extra potatoes for roasting on top)
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (use a well-flavored one here! I love the Pacific brand)
- 5 tablespoons (75g) tomato paste, not tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons (18g) nutritional yeast (highly recommend the Sari or Foods Alive brand-they are non-fortified and have the best flavor)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for a spicy kick, but so good)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (this makes a TON of soup, so that is the reason for the salt amount, do not decrease)
- chopped green onions for garnish
- I use this scale.
- I use this instant pot.
- Add the onion to the instant pot and press the large pot (this makes a TON) with 1/2 cup of the broth over medium heat under the normal saute setting Cook about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Turn off.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of broth, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, cumin, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper and stir very well, making sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Now stir in the potatoes.
- Seal the pot and cook on high pressure by selecting either manual or pressure cook and set the time to 10 minutes. Please note that it takes about 8-10 minutes before the IP will come to pressure and start the actual cooking. It will beep once it begins the 10 minutes cooking.
- See tip below to start roasting the extra potatoes.
- Once the 10 minutes are up on the instant pot, do a manual quick release of any remaining pressure, using a pot cover to protect your hand.
- Blend the whole soup with an immersion blender to a creamy consistency. The full flavor profile comes together through pureeing it. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender, but you'll have to do it in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your blender. This makes so much that you will not be able to blend it all up at once.
- Tip: While the soup is cooking, chop up the remaining 3 yukon gold potatoes into small 1/2 inch pieces, season with salt/pepper, and bake at 425° for about 20 minutes (on parchment paper) or until golden brown. I love the texture it adds to the soup.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the roasted potatoes and fresh green onions or any other herb you like. This will serve 4 very large bowls or 8 regular soup size bowls. This soup is great served with vegan grilled cheese!
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.