The most luscious vegan tomato soup out there! Delicious, creamy, rich tomato bisque that is dairy-free, oil-free and comes together in less than an hour!
VEGAN TOMATO BISQUE
If there is one food at the very top of my list that I love to eat above all things, it would be soup. I am the type of person who could eat soup every single day of the year, whether it’s freezing outside or burning up in the middle of summer. I love holding a warm bowl of soup in my hands, sitting on the couch and savoring every single bite. It’s so simple, yet something I enjoy immensely. This vegan tomato bisque is a new favorite.
The majority of my recipes are super simple and rather quick. Some require a bit more time, like my Smoky White Bean Potato Stew and the super popular Spicy BBQ Lentil Loaf. Sometimes, the extra time require is necessary for a particular recipe. But during the week, and most days, I need things quick.
BEST VEGAN TOMATO SOUP
So, when I was reminiscing about the Tomato Bisque I used to devour back in my pre-vegan days, I wanted it immediately. But I wanted it easy and simple. It really is the most delicious vegan tomato soup I’ve ever had.
I served it with some broiled bread and omg, it was as enjoyable to me as eating chocolate, for real. I love tomato soup. You could also make it classic by serving it with this amazing vegan grilled cheese!
I love the tangy bite from the tomatoes and the creaminess and slight sweetness that balances out the tangy tomatoes. You would never believe that it is dairy-free and oil-free. It’s just like I remembered.
So, to create that creaminess and slight sweetness that a truly good tomato bisque has, I used a teensy bit of pure maple syrup and cashew butter! Cashew butter is also the secret to my 20 Minute Vegan Alfredo.
This recipe is ridiculously easy, you simply chop up some onion, 3 carrots and some garlic and throw everything into the pot and cook. Blend until creamy and serve. That’s it. Couldn’t be easier. I also have a little tip for you, if you don’t already do this. I buy bags of onions, then chop them all up, measure them all out each by 1 cup and keep them stored separately in ziplock bags (1 cup in each bag) in the freezer for quick dinner time. So, for this soup I just grabbed a baggy and threw it in my pot. So, all I had to do was the carrots and garlic, which just took like 3 minutes. From start to finish, it is all ready in less than an hour.
While it’s cooking, slice up some bread and broil it and you are good to go. I was in such a happy place eating all of this.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Low-Fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chunky Potato and Zucchini Soup
- Vegan Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Vegan Lentil Lemon and Turmeric Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 8 Ingredient Lentil Soup (Reader fave!)
Best Vegan Tomato Bisque
- 1 cup (140g) packed finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 long carrots (peeled and thinly sliced in rounds (140 g, should be about 1 cup sliced)
- 1 tablespoon (12g) minced garlic (3-4 large cloves)
- 3 cups (720g) salt-free or low sodium tomato puree/sauce
- 2 cups (480g) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning (red pepper-free and salt-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper (1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper) The salt amount will really vary depending on the broth and tomato sauce used. Start with 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1 tablespoon (20g) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (64g) RAW cashew butter with no added oil (I make my own here) OR use raw cashews (scant 1/2 cup (64g)
- If you are allergic to cashews, then I would suggest adding 1/2 cup cooked/mashed gold potato instead at the end when blending. I would ONLY suggest this if allergic, as the cashew butter is what makes this soup so darn creamy and amazing. It's not going to be quite the same with the potato, nor have that slight sweetness, so you may need extra syrup if you go the potato route. I have not tested it with the potato, so please let me know if you try it!
- Add all of the ingredients, except the cashew butter to a pot. If using whole cashews, add them to the pot as well, as they will soften as the soup cooks. Stir well and turn to high heat.
- Bring it to a boil and once it starts boiling, stir once more and then cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook covered on medium-low for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are very soft. Cooking this long really creates depth of flavor, as well. Stir a couple of times during and to check on the carrots.
- Once the carrots are tender, turn the heat off. Very carefully pour the soup into a blender, it's HOT! (I used my Vitamix) and add the cashew butter (if using instead of whole cashews). Blend on high until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and add anymore salt or dried herbs. Mine didn't need anymore salt because my tomato puree already had mild salt. Feel free to adjust.
- Pour into bowls. Serve with toasted bread or this grilled cheese!