Meet one of my favorite veggies of all time. Zucchini. I love zucchini baked, grilled, sautéed and even baked into desserts. I definitely think I’d have to say that grilled gives the best flavor though. Not to mention, some gorgeous grill marks. Giving these grilled zucchini some Italian herbs and fresh lemon juice really amped up the flavor and screamed “summer”!
I bought 2 really fat zucchini the other day and was trying to think of a more interesting way to cook them than I normally do, which is the oven with just salt and pepper. That is of course, delicious, but I wanted something blog-worthy.
These are so easy to make too. Just mix the dried Italian herbs, lemon juice and water and add everything to a large ziplock bag and shake to coat everything well. This works much easier than trying to do it all in a bowl.
Let me know what you think of these Lemon Italian Herbed Grilled Zucchini by dropping me feedback below after you make them! I’d love to hear.
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave feedback below and share your pic on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thevegan8 #thevegan8!
Lemon Italian Herbed Grilled Zucchini
- 2 large zucchini cut into spears evenly (690 g, I got 28 spears, you may need 3 if yours are small)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- I use this scale.
- Cut the ends off of your zucchini and slice into spears about 2 1/2 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. You want them all similarly sized so they can cook evenly. Set aside.
- Start preheating up your grill pan over medium heat. (I used an indoor Calphalon grill pan).
- Add all of the dried herbs, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water to a small cup and mix well.
- Add the zucchini to a large ziplock bag and pour the lemon mixture over it. Seal the bag and shake it really well to make sure all the zucchini are evenly coated.
- Once your pan is hot, lightly spray with nonstick spray. You can try just using some of the lemon liquid instead, but I was too afraid of the zucchini sticking, so I just very lightly sprayed it. Pull each zucchini from the bag with some tongs and place all the zucchini on the pan evenly. Cook for 5-10 minutes on the first side, or until nice dark grill marks have formed. Rotate and cook each side, including the skin, for a few minutes each until the zucchini are tender, but still firm. Cook them longer if you want them really soft. Taste and if it needs more salt or pepper, sprinkle a little more on and serve immediately. There will be leftover liquid from the lemon/herb mixture and if you want an extra zing, you could always drizzle some of it on top!
Comment and Rate This Recipe