What if I told you this was a healthy icing that you could enjoy guilt free? What if I told you it contained no butter or shortening and not the traditional sugars? Well, it’s true. This is NOT buttercream icing, but a Vegan Maple Cashew Frosting. It is sweet, creamy and bursting with maple flavor. It does NOT taste like buttercream, so you may or may not be as in love as I am. It is, however, delicious and thick and decorates beautifully.
Don’t get me wrong, I love buttercream icing..but I’m shooting for a different, much healthier icing here..without sacrificing flavor.
Cashews are used a lot in vegan cooking/baking to achieve the creaminess in sauces, pestos, frostings, etc. but I have used a couple of ingredients to make mine a little different than you may have seen. I used maple extract, maple syrup and maple flakes. This gives them a wonderful, no-way-to-doubt-it, maple flavor! I discovered these maple flakes online and they are amazing, sweet and crunchy and come from 100% pure maple syrup. I add them to my oatmeal for breakfast, yum!
This icing is spread over Best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes. It could also be used as a fruit dip, over blondies, brownies, oatmeal, whatever you want!
This is the creamy texture you are looking for after processing.
Sweet, creamy, delicious…..guilt free!! Let me know below what you think of this Maple Cashew Icing. Leave feedback after you make it!
Maple Cashew Icing
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked for 1 hour in boiling water drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon pure maple extract
- Maple flakes for garnish optional-I ordered mine here
- Tip: If using to frost cupcakes store the cashew icing in the fridge first to firm up some and then use a piping tip and bag for an easy application.
- Place the cashews in a strainer and rinse well. Add them to a small bowl covered with boiling water and soak for one hour. Drain and rinse well. Add them to a food processor and pulse until they are in small pieces. Scrape the sides, add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until smooth and creamy with no more bits of cashews. It may take a minute or so. Scrape the bowl as necessary. That's it! Spread over pancakes, cupcakes or oatmeal. Store any extra in the fridge. It will firm up in the fridge some. It's good for a few days.