This is sooooo good. I LOVE Mexican food…especially being from Texas, but being Vegan makes it harder since Mexican food is known for having tons of cheese. Well, I also love hummus, such as my Red Pepper Hummus. So, I decided to change my original recipe up quite a bit and created this delicious Vegan Oil-Free Mexican Hummus. It turned out even more delicious than I hoped. It’s packed with protein too which is an added bonus!
I made a meal out of it too. I didn’t just stop with creating the Mexican Hummus, I added some major toppings. I topped it with some black beans, super sweet corn and chives and I was eating a Mexican dish! It has the perfect blend of heat from the chili powder, smokiness from the cumin and sweetness from the corn! My husband couldn’t get over how authentic it smelled too.
Hope you love this Mexican Hummus as much as we did!
- Two 15oz cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed well
- 1/4-1/2 cup roasted red peppers from jar no liquid or roast them yourself
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
- juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 2/3 cup cooked organic non-gmo sweet corn I just used frozen
- Extras: chives tomatoes, avocado, etc.
- Tip: For a more intense flavor or for a gathering or party, make this the day before and store in the fridge and reheat everything as necessary. The flavors really intensify overnight!
- Pulse the garbanzo beans until smooth in a food processor. Add the remaining hummus ingredients and pulse until well combined and creamy. You will need to pulse for a bit and scrape down the sides a few times. Just keep pulsing and it continues to get creamier. Taste and add any more seasoning if desired. I like my hummus thick and dip-like but you could add more or less water if you want. Next, heat the black beans and corn either in the microwave or stovetop. Place the beans and corn over the hummus and garnish with whatever toppings you like. I love the flavor of the chives with the other ingredients. It was delish!
- Ways to eat it: As is, burrito style, in a taco bowl with some greens as a salad, or as a dip with chips!