When a reader writes me with a specific request, I deliver. I take all of your emails and requests seriously and go way past the mediocre stage. I had a reader who stated she has a friend who doesn’t think a dessert can be delicious without butter or dairy or the traditional ingredients used. Hahahaha…she needs to visit my blog, since that is a passion of mine! She wanted something to wow her friend, but it needed to be nut-free and super simple. I figured this would also be a good time to create a tiny dessert as well, since most of mine are large and many of you have stated you like single-servings or something to whip up quickly.
Enter the No-Bake Chocolate Mint Tart For Two. It is no-bake, vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and oil-free. Oh and you only need 7 ingredients for the entire recipe! This proves you can have an amazing, decadent dessert that is extremely easy and fast to make and just basic ingredients.
This was also the perfect time to use the Sunwarrior Classic Plus Chocolate Protein Powder I was sent to use to develop a recipe for. Sure, I could have just done a smoothie, but that’s too easy and expected. I’m not a big protein powder user, I’m more of a whole foods girl, but I actually liked the taste of this one better than most I’ve tried. Many protein powders have a pretty awful taste. Sunwarrior has some of the best ingredients in their products as well.
This one was pretty sweet, so naturally I had to create a dessert. I do not like a strong protein powder taste, so I decided to use it in the crust and not the filling. Combined with cocoa powder as well, it is a super chocolatey crust that require no nuts or food processor. In fact, for this whole recipe, you only need a bowl and a whisk, no fancy equipment and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. Truly only about 15 minutes.
Um, do you see that amazing, luxurious texture??
Let me know what you think of this No-Bake Chocolate Mint Tart for Two by dropping me feedback below after you make it! I’d love to hear. You can also tag me on Instagram @thevegan8 and don’t forget my hashtag in your caption #thevegan8 so it’s saved to my page and I don’t miss it. Enjoy!
A huge thank you to Sunwarrior for sponsoring this post! Be sure to check out their amazing vegan products. Although this is a sponsored post, all opinions expressed are my own.
No-Bake Chocolate Mint Tart For Two
- 2 tablespoons Sunwarrior Classic Plus Chocolate Protein Powder 15 g, see Notes below for sub
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 12 g
- 2 tablespoons warmed sunbutter or almond or cashew butter if nuts aren't a problem
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons water if needed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips 96 g, I use Enjoy Life
- 1/4 cup unsweetened So Delicious unsweetened Vanilla coconut milk you can sub with another plant milk if you like, I would suggest it's on the creamy side so it sets up well, just add a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the filling, if your beverage doesn't contain them
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder 6 g
- 1 tablespoon warmed sunbutter
- 1/16 th teaspoon pure mint extract I found this amount to be just enough mint so it wasn't too strong, feel free to add a tiny bit more, but be careful or it can be too strong
- Notes: If you do not use protein powders then I would suggest subbing the powder with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 1/2 tablespoon dry sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown rice flour and adjust the syrup/water if needed to reach a thick paste consistency. Keep the rest of the "crust" ingredients the same (cocoa powder and sunbutter). The protein powder I used is very sweet, so that is why only a little syrup was needed, so yours may vary. I have only tried it with the protein powder above.
- Line whatever round dish you are using with plastic wrap hanging over the sides for easy removal later. Make sure the plastic is lined flat on the bottom and sides of the dish. If you do not use plastic wrap, you will be crying later when you can't remove the tart. I used a 4.5 inch ramekin type dish and that produced a 1.5 inch tall tart. It was the perfect size. If you use a different size, that will affect the size of the tart. If you only have the regular small ramekins, you could probably just make 2 instead. Set aside.
- For the crust, add all of the "crust" ingredients to a cereal bowl and mix together for a few minutes with a fork, mashing and pressing, until it all comes together. I only added 2 teaspoons of water. Only add a tiny bit if needed. It will seem too dry at first, but keep pressing and if it is still dry and crumbly add a little bit of water. It should be a sticky paste consistency and easily press into a crust shape. Press the dough into the dish flat and even and along the edges. Set aside.
- For the filling, melt the chocolate first. I melted mine in the microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, and stopped once it was almost all melted. Be careful not to cook chocolate too long or it will burn. Stir until it's completely melted and smooth.
- Warm your sunbutter until it is very smooth. Add the sunbutter, milk, cocoa powder and mint extract. Whisk until completely smooth. If you are not using a vanilla flavored plant milk, then add your vanilla extract at this time and a pinch of salt. The milk I used had both. Pour over the prepared crust and smooth out the top.
- Place in the fridge to chill and set for 2-4 hours. Garnish with cocoa nibs and fresh mint leaves if desired for presentation, but it's not in the actual recipe or needed for flavor. What I did was remove the little tart and roll it along its side into a plate of cocoa nibs to hide any markings from the plastic wrap. Enjoy!
*Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, no-bake
*This tart is very rich, so even though I have it listed "for two", I split this between my husband, daughter and I comfortably after dinner.