These Vegan No-Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Bars taste so much like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, but in bar form. Made with ONLY 7 ingredients, ready in 10 minutes and are dairy-free, gluten-free and oil-free.
What goes fabulous with chocolate? Peanut butter…cherries…orange…and ESPECIALLY mint. I used to love eating those girl scout thin mint cookies, but after doing some research, they are so unhealthy! They are full of artificial ingredients, oils, preservatives and not vegan. Not trying to knock the good girl scouts, because I believe everything in moderation, but my blog is about healthier homemade options. If you could get a delicious and much more nutritious dessert, than a traditional one, wouldn’t you want it?
Well, these Vegan No-Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Bars taste so much like a thin mint, I’ll never crave them again! As opposed to the numerous ingredients in their cookies, my cookie bars have only 7.
So, this cookie bar is my take on those same flavors. While it’s not a “thin mint” exactly…it’s bigger and better than one…according to my husband anyway. These are so sweet and yummy, you’ll forget all about those thin mints! These reminded me so much of the thin mint cookie because of their flavor, sweetness and crunch, I had to name them accordingly. Also, no need to bake them! Go make these NOW and after chilling them, tell me they don’t taste just like a thin mint!! I used to store my thin mints in the fridge because they were so good that way.
Mint Chocolate Chip Bars
- 2 cups (90g) brown rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 cup (60g) dairy-free mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/4 cup (64g) almond butter
- 1/2 cup (160g) raw amber agave
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder or more depending on how sweet you want the bars
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- Line a loaf pan (9X5) with parchment paper with it hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice cereal and chocolate chips.
- In a small pot, add the almond butter, agave, cocoa powder and salt and whisk very well until smooth. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Once the edges begin to simmer, whisk constantly for just about a minute until it begins to thicken some. Don't overcook it. You are just wanting to heat the cocoa and thicken it slightly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and mint extracts.
- Now, pour the heated mixture over the dry ingredients and stir quickly because it will start to harden. This will melt the chocolate chips, which additionally will help to harden the bars. Press mixture down flat and hard into the pan with the back of a spoon, spread out evenly. It will be sticky, so if you put a small piece of parchment paper underneath the back of your spoon while pressing, it's much easier.
- Chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes and slice with a sharp knife into bars. Keep them stored in the fridge to retain their shape. Enjoy the chocolate mint heaven!