This Vegan Oil-free Chocolate Granola is so rich and flavorful and healthier than store-bought. It is nut-free and made with just 7 ingredients!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE GRANOLA
So, so, so chocolatey. That is what I kept saying while eating this. This oil-free vegan chocolate granola has such an incredible, true deep chocolate flavor. That’s all you will think about while eating this. The blackstrap molasses may seem like an odd addition, but I like to add it to my chocolate recipes sometimes because further enriches the chocolate flavor. I love having granola on hand. It’s the perfect snack to keep you from starving when you are out from the house and don’t want to have to stop to eat junk. I also love homemade granola for eating cereal with homemade almond milk. So much healthier than cereal from the store! It’s everything granola should be…crunchy, full of flavor, perfect amount of sweetness, and of course, chocolate. This amazing chocolate granola is ready in 30 minutes!
I have a good collection of oil-free granola recipes on the blog. So much cheaper and tastier than the store-bought varieties anyways, which always contain oil as well.
(Only 7 main ingredients needed. Full details and measurements on the recipe card below.)
- Old-fashioned rolled oats: Use certified gluten-free if necessary.
- Unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- Sunflower kernels or any other nuts or seeds of choice
- Pure maple syrup
- Sunbutter (for nut-free) or almond butter if you don’t need it nut-free
- Blackstrap molasses: Helps the rich chocolate flavor and make the granola clump nicely.
- Non-dairy semi-sweet chocolate chips: I used Enjoy Life brand.
HOW TO MAKE OIL FREE CHOCOLATE GRANOLA
Step 1: Preheat an oven to 325°F and line a pan with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix the oats, cocoa powder, sunflower kernels, salt and chocolate chips. If your sunbutter is from the fridge and is cold or really stiff, briefly warm it up so it’s smooth and runny. Stir it with the syrup and molasses. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until it all comes together and is very sticky.
Step 3: Spread the granola out evenly flat onto the pan about 1/2 inch thick, so it bakes evenly.
Step 4: Bake on the bottom LOW rack for 15 minutes, remove and stir the granola around from underneath so it will cook evenly. Place back in the oven on the low rack and bake another 8 minutes. Watch closely so the edges don’t burn.
Step 5: Let cool 10 minutes while it crisps up. Enjoy on it’s own or in parfaits or on ice cream or as breakfast cereal!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS
These days, many chocolate chip brands sell dairy-free options. Many, however, contain milk, so make sure to read the label first. Enjoy Life brand is labeled vegan but there are brands at Trader Joes, Sprouts and many grocery stores that simply use cocoa, cocoa butter, vanilla and sugar, just read the label!
This granola will stay fresh for 2 weeks, although, let’s be honest it will not last that long! I love to pack individual amounts in bags or containers for on the go for trips or running errands.
Other recipes that include chocolate and molasses?
Load up your bowl with this delicious oil-free chocolate granola, pour some almond milk over it, top it with fruit and you got a seriously delicious and healthy breakfast. Go make this. Now.
MORE OIL FREE VEGAN GRANOLA RECIPES
- Healthy Oil-free Granola that is super buttery!
- Oil-free 5 Ingredient Cinnamon Granola
- Apple Pie Granola
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Chocolate Cinnamon Granola
Vegan Chocolate Granola (Oil-free)
- 2 cups (200g) old fashioned gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (44g) unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (50g) mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (64g) creamy sunbutter or almond butter if not nut-free
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (120g) maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses (optional, makes the granola more darker tasting)
- I use this scale.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, cocoa powder, sunflower kernels (or nuts/seeds of choice), salt and chocolate chips. Add the sunbutter or almond butter, syrup and optional molasses. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until it all comes together and is very sticky.
- Spread the granola out evenly flat onto the pan about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake on the bottom LOW rack 15 minutes, remove and stir the granola around from underneath so it will cook evenly. Place back in the oven on the low rack and bake another 8 minutes. Watch closely so the edges don't burn.
- Let cool 10 minutes while it crisps up. Enjoy on it's own or in parfaits or on ice cream or as breakfast cereal! Store in a sealed container at room temperature, it will stay wonderfully crunchy.
- STORAGE: This granola will stay fresh for 2 weeks, although, let's be honest it will not last that long! I love to pack individual amounts in bags or containers for on the go for trips or running errands.
- NUTS OR SEEDS: Feel free to use any nuts or seeds, depending on your preference or allergy. I like to use slivered almonds a lot, since my daughter loves them.
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.