I’m currently into lots of dips and finger foods and sauces. I have been putting them on pizzas instead of traditional pizza sauce and literally eating this one in particular, with a spoon. I think it’s no secret that I love barbecue sauce, by the evidence of so many barbecue recipes on my blog. My favorite, and one of my most popular, is my Smoky Barbecue Sweet Potato Chickpea Burgers. You guys love that recipe, so I decided to do a little twist on that recipe and create a dip with those same flavors.
This way we can all have a really fast sweet barbecue flavored dip in just about 20 minutes. Score. Instead of using chickpeas, like in traditional hummus, I decided to use all white beans. I tried this first with chickpeas and wasn’t loving the flavor. I find chickpeas to be rather strong and really need to be hidden well. White beans not only become a ton creamier than chickpeas, they are also much milder in flavor.
White beans are the perfect choice for this Oil-Free Barbecue White Bean Hummus. This dip is not only super creamy and smooth, but also fat-free since there is no oil or tahini in it. Yes, fat-free! Indulge all you want. Honestly, with all the flavors going on here, it doesn’t need any oil or tahini. Bonus that it is a wonderful source of quality protein and fiber. Hey, we all need more fiber in our diets.
Your tastebuds will be doing a major dance party with this dip. It’s full of rich flavor, thanks to roasted garlic, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke, hot sauce and some seasonings of course. The roasted garlic just further lends to the sweet barbecue flavor. I could eat roasted garlic on it’s own though, it’s seriously addictive stuff. My daughter and I literally went to town on this dip.
Of course, you only need 8 easy ingredients for this recipe (plus salt and a tiny amount of water).
Regarding a couple of comments/questions I’ve received….as with all my recipes, you only need 8 ingredients to make them and sometimes this will or will not include salt ‘n’ pepper and water. Sometimes I will list an optional ingredient or garnish, but these are totally optional and NOT REQUIRED to make the recipe. You have no idea how much I work to create recipes that require no more than 8 main ingredients. As with any recipe you find online or in a cookbook, there is always the optional garnishes, but they are not the base of the recipe. Just count the ingredients and you will see. As always, if you have questions, let me know and I’m more than happy to help!
Other Oil-free Vegan Hummus recipes to try:
Oil-Free Barbecue White Bean Hummus
- 3 medium cloves garlic (with skins still on)
- Two 15 oz cans white cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Optional garnish: green onions and drizzle of barbecue sauce for presentation. Use this Smoky BBQ or my rich molasses one. I only did this for presentation purposes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the garlic cloves (with skin still on!) wrapped in foil loosely and roast for 10 minutes.This will bring out more flavor and depth and be less strong than raw garlic.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans well and add them to a food processor. Process until they are broken up.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process for a minute or so, scrape down the sides and process again for several minutes until creamy smooth. Walk away and let it process until totally smooth. I let mine go a few minutes. It will give you the creamiest dip ever.
- Taste and add any extra spice if desired. The only thing I added extra was the chili powder.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle barbecue sauce and green onions on top if desired. I could not stop eating this dip. I loved the sweet smoky barbecue flavor with the small spicy kick. Leave feedback below after you make it!