These Vegan Peanut Butter Lovers Granola Bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, oil-free and just 8 ingredients. They are moist, chewy and have the most amazing texture thanks to oats and rice crisp cereal.
Quaker peanut butter granola bars used to be my weakness. They are sweet, moist, chewy and delicious! So, as I was strolling down the cereal isle at the grocery store, I decided to look at the ridiculous list of ingredients on the box. I lost count…there must have been 20+ ingredients, which of course included corn syrup solids, oils and the worst…artificial sweeteners! I will not buy or eat a single thing with artificial ingredients. They are terrible and caused me terrible stomach pains and migraines in the past.
Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free peanut butter lovers granola bars to the rescue. Those words just make me weak in the knees. Mine contain no butter, no oil, no weird ingredients and have a smaller list of ingredients! Just 8 ingredients for these amazingly, delicious vegan and gluten-free peanut butter bars. The batter honestly was so delicious, I debated just eating it without bothering to bake it at all.
Food porn, right?
Let me know if you make these beauties! Leave me feedback below, I love hearing it! You can also tag me on Instagram using my hashtag #thevegan8, so I surely won’t miss it!
Peanut Butter Lovers Granola Bars
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup brown rice crisp cereal (non-sweetened if possible)
- 1 cup QUICK cooking oats (you must quick oats and NOT regular or they'll fall apart)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (helps to bind the bars well)
- 1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup all natural creamy peanut butter with no additives
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Peanut Butter Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- If your peanut butter doesn't have any added salt (mine does), then add 1/8 teaspoon salt to the recipe.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and line a 9X5 loaf pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water (I warmed mine for 20 seconds in the microwave) and flaxseed and whisk with a fork and set aside for 5-10 minutes, until thickened.
- In a separate bowl, mix the koala crisp cereal, oats, tapioca starch and chocolate chips together. Set aside.
- Add the peanut butter, syrup, vanilla to the flaxseed mixture and whisk really well, it should be smooth before adding to the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until it is sticky and well incorporated. Use a spoon or rubber spatula to help press the mixture together.
- Spread the batter evenly with a rubber spatula into the lined pan and smooth out to the corners.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until firm and a firm top and very golden brown. Mine took right around 35 minutes, watch closely. Important: Let sit 20 minutes, then slice them carefully with a very sharp knife while they are still mildly warm and in the pan. Leave them IN THE PAN to cool at least another 30 minutes, then drizzle the chocolate sauce (if using) over them. They will firm up considerably while cooling, so don't remove while warm or they will fall apart. After they have completely cooled, then remove them with the parchment paper. Wrap individually if desired. These must be stored in the fridge to retain their firmness, they will become too delicate at room temperature but are perfect texture to eat straight out of the fridge.
- To make the Peanut Butter Chocolate Drizzle, combine all ingredients in a coffee mug, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave again for 20-30 seconds, being careful not to burn. Microwave a few more seconds if necessary. Stir until melted and smooth and drizzle with a spoon over the completely cooled bars. Let chocolate harden by room temperature or in the fridge. Store bars in the fridge.
*Gluten-free, oil-free, vegan, dairy-free
*Nutrition per bar (without chocolate chips): 283 calories/11g fat/40 carbs/7g protein (6 bars)
*With chocolate chips: 329 calories/14g fat/47 carbs/8g protein