Pecan pie for breakfast? Don’t mind if I do. I wrote this recipe back in July and was waiting for the perfect time to post it. Seeing how summer is ending, I figured a pecan pie recipe would be a great way to get us in the mood for all the seasonal recipes headed our way.
This recipe is ridiculous in it’s simplicity and unbelievably delicious. I was kind of moaning while eating it. For real. Y’all know I’m all about easy recipes, but I’m BIG on flavor. This recipe fits the bill. This has that same sweet, sticky texture of a pecan pie and the crisp from the toast as crostini, instead of a pie crust.
I came up with this idea based on my love for pecan pie and my love for toast each morning. I have always loved pecan pie, but not the mess of making a whole pie and certainly not in love with the awful corn syrup and buckets of sugar in it.
I decided a way to make it prettier and a little gourmet…you know, perfect for your guests that stay the weekend, was to cut the bread out into rounds before toasting them, so they are crostini style. I just simply used a large round cookie cutter that fit perfectly on the bread within the crusts.
Roasted pecan butter and more pecans on top ensure an insanely, amazing pecan pie flavor! The pecan butter is the best nut butter in the world, it becomes so buttery and sweet when roasting the pecans and then processes very easily into nut butter.
Top with some coconut cream, a cherry on top and your family or your weekend guests will be floored if you serve them these for breakfast! They not only look elegant, but they are so fast and easy to whip up.
If you make these, I would love to hear from you. I love getting feedback from you all who take a moment to leave it on my blog here below in the comments. I work hard in the kitchen, so when I hear from you, it keeps me excited to come up with recipes. You can also tag me on Instagram @thevegan8 and please use hashtag #thevegan8 as well, that is how I’m keeping track of everybody making my recipes…otherwise I’m missing some of them if you only use @thevegan8. Thanks!
Pecan Pie Crostinis
Pecan Pie Spread (makes 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon roasted creamy pecan butter My recipe here pecan butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2-1 tablespoon water if needed for consistency
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Optional: coconut cream and cherries
- Alternatively you could use almond butter in place of pecan butter. It will be less pecan pie-ish, but still delicious. Just make sure it is a creamy/roasted version for the best flavor.
- 1. Add the pecan butter (or almond butter), syrup, water and vanilla extract to a small bowl and stir really well. Add any more water to reach desired consistency. I added about a tablespoon. Next, add the cinnamon and salt and stir again.
- 2. Cut the bread into rounds with a cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet or small pan, if using a toaster oven. I used my mini toaster oven and just toasted them until they were golden. If you use the oven, just toaste them at 400 degrees until golden.
- 3. Spread desired amount of pecan pie spread on each toast while warm. Top with chopped pecans, coconut cream and a cherry on top, for presentation and ultimate heaven, if desired! Keep pecan pie spread stored in the fridge and allow to come to room temperature at the next use.
Let me know what you think of this below!