I post a lot of desserts on my blog. I love making them…I’m very passionate about it…but have you noticed I’ve been posting lately more savory meals? I’m feeling very inspired in that department too. I’ve recently posted tomato risotto, Garlic Lemon Kale Salad and the most viewed recipe I’ve ever gotten….Garlic Alfredo Sauce! Every single day the alfredo sauce is off the charts in views and the feedback from you guys making it in the kitchen has made me SO happy…..so I know it’s just as important for my readers to have savory……and sweet options.
This salad is kind of like both. While it obviously is not a dessert, it has some delicious sweet flavors. I used lots of fresh bell peppers and apples over a kale, spinach and swiss chard greens mix. I then topped it off with a sweet, spicy dressing….sooooo good. It was so delicious, I shared some with my 2 year old. How many 2 year olds do you know who love salad? Raw veggies at that?! Her favorite part was the apples, of course. I used honey crisp apples, to be exact. They are THE BEST apples ever. Super sweet and crisp.
The dressing is super thick and creamy. I wanted to further bring out the bell pepper flavors, so that is why I added lots of chili powder to the dressing, just for a little bit of heat. It gives it some warmth without being crazy spicy. It compliments the bell peppers and contrasts greatly with the sweetness of the apples. I really couldn’t put the salad down, it was that good.
Oh, and it’s quite beautiful and colorful too…which doesn’t hurt since we eat with our eyes first! It was one of my favorite creations to photograph to date.
This dressing also makes the perfect veggie dip! It is on the thick side, so you can totally use it as a dip and it is delicious. It thickens some in the fridge overnight, so you can just thin it out with some water to use again as salad dressing, or use some of it as a dip too!
Let me know what you think of this Apple Pepper Salad with Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Creamy Dressing!
Apple Pepper Salad with Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Cream Dressing
- 2 heaping cups of sliced assorted bell peppers I just purchased an 8 oz bag of assorted mini peppers
- One 5 oz container of greens I purchased a premade mix of kale, spinach & swiss chard
- 1 honey crisp apple thinly sliced (or use your favorite apple)
Sweet 'n' Spicy Dressing (This dressing makes a lot, 2 cups, so it'll last you for several salads!)
- 2 cups raw whole pecans 214 g, 7.5 oz
- 3 tablespoons organic yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons raw agave or preferred liquid sweetener
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt to taste
- Add the pecans to a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms and there are no small pieces left. These process and turn the smoothest the easiest and quickest out of most nuts and work best in this dressing. After it is smooth, add the remaining dressing ingredients and process until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add any more salt or water to thin out, if desired. This dressing has a thick texture similar to a ranch dressing, but if you prefer it thinner, just add in a little bit of water. Set aside. (It thickens some in the fridge overnight, so you can just thin it out with some water or use it as a dip as well)
- Slice bell peppers and apples and add to greens. Pour dressing over salad and sprinkle extra chili powder if desired for more heat over the salad.
*Gluten-free, raw, oil-free