Just 8 ingredients for these Roasted Poblano Pepper and Sweet Potato Tostadas. Roasted with Mexican spices for a deep, smoky flavor that is garnished with fresh lime juice and avocado! These vegan Mexican Tostadas will be a hit with your guests! Oil-free and low-fat!
One of my favorite meals before we chose a vegan diet were some chicken nachos at a Mexican restaurant by one of my old jobs that my co-workers and I would frequent. It was corn tortilla chips with chicken, cheese and the most AMAZING ingredient, roasted poblano peppers. I’ve had chicken and cheese a million times, but what made them extraordinary, was the poblano peppers.
This dish is my recreation and I changed it up a bit, opting for tostada style and obviously, no chicken or cheese. Instead, I think the sweetness from the sweet potatoes packs a more flavorful punch and contrast to the smoky, roasted poblano peppers than chicken anyways.
How can something so simple and such few ingredients be so dang delicious?!
I typically don’t eat corn, like ever, it’s just a gmo-infested wasteland. However, I found these non-gmo, organic corn tortillas from Whole Foods and the only ingredients were corn, lime and salt! I was excited and couldn’t wait to try them.
I was tempted to just eat them straight out of the bowl, but the tostadas were just amazing.
A generous squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped avocadao, and we were in vegan Mexican tostadas heaven! These are incredibly healthy too, oil-free and practically fat-free, with the exception of the healthy fat coming from avocado.
Go make these, you will love these Roasted Poblano Peppers & Sweet Potato Tostadas!
Roasted Poblano Pepper & Sweet Potato Tostadas
- 3 poblano peppers, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (should have about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (should have 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt-free chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 + corn tortillas
- 1 large avocado, diced
- fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 415°F and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the poblano peppers to a separate bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and salt until well mixed. Add half of the spice mix over the potatoes and the other half over the poblano peppers. Toss both bowls well with a spoon to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Spread out the potatoes onto 1 pan. Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes and remove them from the oven.
- Add the poblano peppers to the pan of potatoes and stir to combine them. Place them back in the oven and roast another 15 minutes.
- Turn to broil for 2-3 minutes just to crisp up and brown the potatoes. Watch closely so they don't burn. Remove and turn off the oven.
- Place the corn tortillas in the oven for just a couple of minutes to crisp up. It will only take a minute or so for them to get crispy.
- Place desired amount of the potato/poblano pepper mixture on top of each tostada. Add avocado and a squeeze of lime juice on top.