I love the idea of pesto being healthy. Unfortunately, most store bought pestos are full of fat, sodium and preservatives. That meant I needed to make my own. I decided to create mine a little different than the traditional pestos containing basil. I LOVE spinach so this is how mine is different. I also decided to add in some peas for a very mild sweetness. The result….a very hearty pesto that is delicious and you can feel good about eating! I find myself dipping into it so much I have to refrain from eating the whole bowl at once!
This Vegan Spinach Pea Pesto is absolutely delicious, dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free and ready in just a few minutes.
Spinach Pea Pesto
- 3 cups fresh packed spinach
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1/4 cup pecans (lightly toast them if desired)
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano spice or use 1 teaspoon dried Italian spice mix
- 2-3 tablespoons of water, depending on desired thickness
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thick and creamy. Taste and add any additional salt/spices, if desired. Process again until super smooth, at least a minute or two. Should be silky smooth and delicious! Serve with homemade tortilla chips, veggies or over pasta. I love this as a dip and also warmed up over pasta, it is delicious!
- Optional Homemade Garlic Tortilla Chips:
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Stack 4 whole wheat tortilla chips on top of each other. Cut in halves, then fourths. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.