Vegan Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup. So incredibly rich, creamy, dairy-free, oil-free and just 8 easy ingredients.
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Who really loved broccoli cheese soup as a kid? Please tell me you said yes. Well, today I’ve got a vegan broccoli cheese soup with a twist….a sweet potato-ish, cheesy-ish broccoli soup. Not overly cheesy, but more of a combo of a sweet potato flavor and a cheesy flavor. As you all know by now, I love soup. They are so easy and fast to make and with my schedule lately and for this year, I need easy meals.
One of my absolute favorite recipes my mom made for us growing up, was broccoli cheese soup. I’m not talking about the purred broccoli soup where there is no visible broccoli florets left. No, I want the chunks please, thank you. Roasted chunks, to be exact. I did my usual roasted broccoli trick that I do for a lot of my soups. As I’ve mentioned before, I hate overly cooked/soggy broccoli, which happens a lot when you cook it in the pot. I avoid all this by roasting my broccoli under tender and just beginning to brown. It adds such a better flavor and texture to my soups.
VEGAN BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
This Vegan Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup is so satisfying, creamy and comforting. Even though this soup is vegan and not an ounce of dairy in it, you’d never know by how silky, smooth it is, thanks to using brown rice flour and cashew milk. The soup my mom made was obviously loaded with dairy and processed cheese. Yummy, yes, but I’m no way interested in putting that in my body anymore.
I decided to give the traditional broccoli cheese soup a dairy-free version and a twist, by adding sweet potatoes. My first trial was with regular potatoes and it just was a bit bland for my taste and a bit too starchy for what I was going for. Sweet potatoes taste much less starchy than regular potatoes, plus they also give a beautiful color.
I’m a huge potato soup fan in general and if you are too, then make sure to check out one of my most popular recipes, this Low-fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup!
OTHER VEGAN SOUP RECIPES TO TRY:
- Lazy Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup
- Lazy Day Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Easy Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Hearty Veggie Potato Stew
- Smoky Sweet Potato Black-eyed Pea Soup
Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 heaping cups (300g) peeled and chopped 1/2 inch pieces sweet potatoes
- 1 packed cup (160g) finely diced white onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced (15g)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 heaping cups frozen broccoli florets (depending on how chunky you want it)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1 1/2 cups water for HOMEMADE cashew milk (see directions)
- 3 tablespoons (30g) brown rice flour
- 4-6 tablespoons nutritional yeast (I highly recommend this Sari brand, it is non-fortified with much better taste.)
- 4 Tablespoons (60g) dill pickle juice (this aids in the cheesy flavor-do not skip!)
- fresh lemon juice for serving
- This has a more non-traditional flavor than typical broccoli cheese soup. The sweet potatoes give it a more subtle sweet flavor, less savory.
- Saute the onion in a bit of water for 5-8 minutes over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the water and sweet potatoes, salt/pepper and bring to boil, once boiling, cover and turn to simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes until potatoes very fork tender. They need to be almost mushy so they can puree easily.
- Meanwhile roast the broccoli. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Spread your broccoli out and season well with salt and pepper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until just beginning to see the tips browning. Depending on your oven or the size of your broccoli florets, it may need longer, up to 10-15 more minutes. You want them fork tender, but still fairly firm, as you will not be cooking them in the soup. If using fresh and not frozen, watch them so they don't burn.
- The homemade cashew milk is amazing in this. Do not use store-bought cashew milk, as it will not produce near the same flavor or result. Hear me on this, it will not work the same. To make the cashew milk, add 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1 1/2 cups water to a Vitamix and blend until completely smooth.
- After your potatoes are tender in your soup, stir in the milk, brown rice flour, nutritional yeast and pickle juice until well mixed. Cook about a minute so it thickens up. Remove from heat.
- Use a hand immersion blender or a Vitamix to blend the soup until it is completely smooth. It should be nice and thick, but if you'd like it thicker, reheat it just for a minute or two. Homemade cashew milk makes the soup thicken very well and quickly!
- Taste and add any additional salt. Add the roasted broccoli and serve. I added some more freshly ground pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice right before serving.