This vegan sweet potato caramel takes only 10 minutes to make and is absolutely delicious, dairy-free, oil-free and low-fat! It is so good on pancakes, waffles, muffins, cake and ice cream!
VEGAN SWEET POTATO CARAMEL
I originally shared this vegan sweet potato caramel recipe back in 2014 on these sweet potato muffins. But since it’s an add-on to that recipe and didn’t have its own post, most readers didn’t know about it. So, it’s time this amazing dairy-free caramel had its own post.
This stuff is total magic. It is low-fat, because it’s dairy-free with no coconut and no butter or cream like traditional caramel and is made with sweet potatoes!
The flavor is out of this world!
You MUST use coconut sugar for this though, that is key. Coconut sugar does not taste like white sugar, but is very much like a caramel deep flavor. So combining it with sweet potatoes, milk, salt and vanilla and boiling it down, it becomes absolutely addicting!
I may or may not eat it with a spoon.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CARAMEL
It is SO easy to make, like 10 minutes is all you need.
Start out by cooking your sweet potato your preferred method. Since I want it ready quick, I just cook a whole sweet potato (unpeeled) in the microwave until soft.
Peel and measure the sweet potato and add to a food processor or blender.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend really well until completely smooth. It will be runny.
Add to a small pot over medium-low heat and once simmering, cook 3-4 minutes or until it’s reduced and thickened some. It should coat the back of a spoon/spatula and then remove from the heat. It will thicken much more as it cools as well, so be careful about overcooking it.
This caramel sauce is delicious on everything from ice cream, pancakes, waffles, cake, brownies, etc.!
If you love caramel, give this vegan peanut butter caramel a try!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave feedback below and share your pic on Instagram and tag me @thevegan8 #thevegan8!
Sweet Potato Caramel
- 1/4 cup (60g) cooked mashed orange sweet potato
- 1/2 cup (120g) creamy plant-based milk, I used and recommend the malk brand almond milk, it's creamier than traditional watered-down milks and has no added gums or
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 4 tablespoons (48g) coconut sugar (do not sub with another sugar! Or it won't taste like caramel)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add to a small pot over a stove and turn to medium-low heat.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Stir with a rubber spoon/spatula for a full couple of minutes or more until it thickens up and coats the back of the spoon/spatula. Note that the caramel will thicken up much more as it cools, so don't worry if it's not as thick as you want while it's still warm. It will thicken up more in the fridge as well.
- This caramel sauce is delicious on everything from ice cream, pancakes, waffles, cake, brownies, etc.!
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.
Comment and Rate This Recipe