1 Pot Vegan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup! Smoky, flavorful, delicious and so hearty! Lots of wonderful, plant-based protein! JUST 8 ingredients! Vegan, gluten-free and oil-free! Ready in less than an hour!
VEGAN SWEET POTATO LENTIL SOUP
I just love soups with a little kick, but to really balance and turn up the flavor, I like a little sweetness! That is the reasoning behind this soup I created. It has become quite a staple in my family and is a favorite among friends. It has a deep warm and smoky flavor that is balanced out with the sweetness of sweet potatoes. It’s earthy and the epitome of comfort food. It couldn’t be any simpler either, just throw everything into a pot and let it cook! Creating potato soups are some of my favorite meals.
I have several vegan lentil soup recipes that are reader favorites:
- Creamy Vegan Lentil Soup with Turmeric and Lemon
- Red Lentil Spinach Soup
- Easiest Ever Vegan Lentil Soup
- Red Lentil Curry Soup
I have found many lentil soups to be a little bland, but this one with all of the smoky spices I’ve added give such a depth of flavor that is honestly addictive. The sweet potatoes really compliment the smoky flavor as well. A vegan, gluten-free, oil-free lentil soup that is totally low-fat and guilt-free? Yes, please!
MORE VEGAN POTATO SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
- Low-fat Broccoli Potato Soup
- Easy Vegan Creamy Curry Rice Soup
- Sweet Potato White Bean Curry Soup
- Hearty Veggie Potato Stew
- Hearty Italian White Bean Basil Soup
- Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Smoky Sweet Potato Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Easy Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
I cannot wait to hear what you think of this 1 Pot Sweet Potato Lentil Soup! If you make this recipe, be sure to leave feedback below and share your pic on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thevegan8 #thevegan8!
Vegan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup (Oil-free!)
- 1 lb bag of dry green lentils
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) finely diced red onion
- 4 large garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into bite size 1 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons (60g) tomato paste
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (this makes a LARGE pot, so don't be alarmed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- splash of lemon juice and zest at the end
- This is an extremely easy dump-it-all-at-once type of recipe, but it still turns out incredibly flavorful. Make sure to have everything chopped and ready to go before beginning.
- Rinse lentils well and add them to a large pot with 8 cups of water or low-sodium veggie broth. Bring to a low boil.
- As soon as it begins to boil, add all of the ingredients, except the lemon. (The onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper).
- Give it a good stir and turn down the heat to low, put on a lid with it slightly tilted to let some of the steam escape. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender, but not mushy, stirring a few times during the cooking process. If you cook it too fast, the lentils will not become tender.
- Add any more salt to taste and garnish with a splash of lemon juice and lemon zest before serving.