This is the perfect healthy, hearty and delicious breakfast to start your day. I am in love with this loaf. I combined several of my favorite flavors….vanilla, lemon, mint and a hint of cinnamon. Not one flavor overpowers the other….just touches of each compliment each other. It is mildly sweet, making it the perfect breakfast with wholesome ingredients.
It is not your typical doughy white loaf. It is pronounced in texture and simply amazing in flavor. It is SO filling, that one slice makes your tummy happy. I made it gluten-free as well. I’m in love with gluten-free baking and it doesn’t bloat me up either. I’m trying to consume less wheat and this loaf is way more filling than a typical slice of bread….and tastes way better too!
I don’t use commercially bought gluten-free blends because they have so many different flours in them, as well as gums, which I try to avoid. This loaf is a shorter, denser loaf with a perfectly flat top. It turned out wonderfully moist and full of awesome texture, due to the almonds.
I use almond flour and applesauce instead of oil or butter and that takes care of the “fat” needed to give them their taste, as well as moisture. Typically, I’m not a fan of applesauce in baked goods when used with regular flours, but since the almonds contain the majority of the fat and moisture, the applesauce works brilliantly in this. It is a thick, filling, moist loaf….similar to banana bread.
Garnished with lemon zest over the gorgeous golden exterior makes it lovely to serve to guests as well.
Look at that amazing texture…..hard to believe that there is no traditional flour in this!
It’s a perfectly hearty breakfast because it’s incredibly thick, dense and filling…yet the lemon and mint make it feel refreshing and light.
Let me know what you think of this Vanilla, Lemon & Mint Breakfast Loaf (Vegan, Gluten-Free). Drop me feedback below after you make it!
Vanilla, Lemon & Mint Breakfast Loaf
- 1 1/2 140g cups blanched almond flour or almond meal
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus the zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Note: I have also just made these into muffins and they are delicious! This will only make about 9 muffins, just fill your muffin liners basically to the top of the edge of the liners and bake for 28-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with dry crumbs on it and slowly springs back when touched in the center.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 x 5 glass pyrex loaf dish, or line a metal loaf pan with parchment paper, otherwise it will cook the outside too quickly.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, oat flour, tapioca, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and whisk very well. Stir in the chopped mint. Add the syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and applesauce and stir until combined well.
- Pour the batter into the greased/floured glass dish. Zest 1 lemon and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until very golden brown and a toothpick comes out with a few dry crumbs (not wet batter) on it and slowly springs back when touched in the center. It will have a crispy exterior but will soften up overnight. It is not a tall loaf, but a short, denser type of hearty loaf, so it doesn't rise extremely high.
- Let cool at least an hour before removing from the dish and cool completely before slicing, or it could fall apart. Garnish with additional lemon zest. Keep stored in the fridge and it becomes amazingly moist the next day!