This Vegan Chocolate Protein Mug Cake is so rich, moist, decadent and so delicious! It’s ready in 5 minutes and is also gluten-free and no added oil. It is the perfect easy and quick dessert!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE PROTEIN MUG CAKE
I love mug cakes, like this one and this healthy low-fat one. Those are both amazing, but I got a reader request for a higher protein mug cake. So, I made several changes to one of those recipes to turn it into a protein version and it is amazing!
It is so moist and almost brownie-like. But it still has a fluff cake texture to it. You won’t believe it has no added oil either.
I use my favorite brand of protein powder for this chocolate protein mug cake, Sprout Living epic protein, the chocolate maca flavor. It is the best vegan protein powder on the market in my opinion.
The ingredient list is clean and no artificial ingredients, gums or additives.
- blanched almond flour
- tapioca starch
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vegan chocolate protein powder (the one I use is linked above and on the recipe card below)
- baking powder
- maple syrup
- vanilla extra
- vegan chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE PROTEIN MUG CAKE
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Weigh for the best accurate results.
Microwave 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds until the batter is cooked. I did the full amount and it was perfect, but microwaves can vary.
Cool 4-5 minutes before eating.
Vegan Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons (28g) blanched superfine almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (12g) Sprout Living Chocolate Maca Protein Powder (see directions)
- 1 tablespoon (6g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon (4g) tapioca starch (this helps it be a bit fluffy and with the texture)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (45g) water
- 1 tablespoon (20g) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (23g) semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips (do not omit, the cake itself is very rich chocolate flavor-not too sweet, so the chips balance it perfectly)
- This is a PROTEIN mug cake. If you are not interested in a protein mug cake, then just simply make one of my other two regular mug chocolate cake recipes linked at the top of the post.
- I always recommend to weigh ingredients for accurate results.
- I use this scale.
- Protein powder: I use and recommend the Sprout Living Chocolate Maca Protein powder. Code “thevegan8” will save you 20% off. It tastes like chocolate cake and has all clean ingredients. It is sweetened and has a small amount of salt in it. So the recipe is written based off of that. I can’t vouch for any other chocolate protein powder used. If you use another brand it should be sweetened and keep in mind, due to all the different variations of protein pursers and ingredients used in them in the market, the results could greatly vary.
- To a bowl, whisk the almond flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt well.
- Add the water, syrup and vanilla and ONLY 1 tablespoon of the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. It should be fairly thick like a muffin batter.
- Spoon the batter into a coffee mug. Top with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon chocolate chips. For a lower fat version, omit the extra chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds. I did full 1 minute 45 seconds and it was perfect.
- Let the cake cool 4-5 minutes before eating! It will be too hot and moist to eat immediately.
- You can eat this all on your own if you like, or, I prefer to split this with my daughter as I find it’s plenty rich to split between 2 people.