This Vegan Lemon Sauce is the perfect addition to so many plant-based meals, including veggies, pasta, salads, burritos or tacos and used in place of sour cream!
VEGAN LEMON SAUCE
I have a thing for vegan lemon sauces like this one and this reader favorite. One of my most popular recipes I’ve ever posted is this Vegan Lemon Sauce. I created it years ago when I originally posted it on the blog. It is even in my cookbook because it’s such a reader favorite. However, it has been linked within many posts, but never had its own designated post. I want you all to be able to find it easily going forward.
This lemon sauce, while I never created it to be like a vegan sour cream, I use it in so many recipes where I would normally use sour cream. Like in tacos, burritos, drizzled over Mexican bowls, Chili and Curry. Honestly, the tangy and creamy magic goes good on just about everything you add it to!
It’s also incredibly simple, easy and quick to make. You only need 5 ingredients, plus water and 5 minutes to make it.
- Raw cashews
- Onion powder: May seem like an odd ingredient, but trust me, it sets it apart from other lemon sauces. It gives amazing flavor.
- Lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, water
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LEMON SAUCE
Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend until completely smooth. If you don’t own a powerful blender, you should soak the cashews for several hours or boil them first. Drain them and then proceed.
Scrape the sides as needed and blend again until completely smooth.
WAYS TO SERVE THIS LEMON SAUCE
- Zucchini Fritters: I originally created this dairy-free lemon sauce years ago when I posted these vegan zucchini fritters. They are the perfect condiment for the fritters and a dipping sauce for so many things.
- Burgers: Use in place of mayo on a vegan burger!
- Black Bean Burgers
- BBQ Sweet Potato Chickpea Burgers
- Cajun Burgers
- Hearty Vegan Chili, Pumpkin Chipotle Chili or 30 Minute Mexican Chili
MORE VEGAN SAUCE RECIPES
- Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Red Pepper Sauce
- Poblano Pepper Cream Sauce
- Roasted Salsa Ranchera Cream
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Lemon Ginger Sauce
- Thai Peanut Sauce
Vegan Lemon Sauce (5 Ingredients)
- 3/4 cup (180g) water
- 1 cup (150g) raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons (60g) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- I use this scale.
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend until completely smooth. If you don't own a powerful blender, you should soak the cashews for several hours or boil them first. Drain them and then proceed.
- After blending, scrape down the sides and blend again. You want it 100% smooth like a heavy cream. It should be super creamy and beautifully tart.
- You can use immediately or chill in the fridge a few hours first. It will thicken up a lot more in the fridge similar to a sour cream texture. The sauce will last about 4 days in the fridge.
- See post above for many uses for this amazing vegan lemon cream sauce.
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.