My hubby made a request. He said I make too many chocolate desserts and he is not a big fan of chocolate….gasp!! Well, I asked him what he would like for me to make specifically for him…he did not hesistate….”lemon sherbert!” Sherbert is amazing because it has the lightness of sorbet with that icy feel and the slight creaminess from milk. It truly is so amazing for spring.
Tart, sweet, tangy and addicting…..after I made it I gave him a bite and all I got was a nod, another nod and “mmmmmmm”. He then said it was fabulous. I asked “more sugar, less sugar, too tart?” He said it was perfect. I had to agree…it has a wonderful tart flavor from the lemon juice and just enough sweetness to not overpower it. I also added some apple juice for an added extra sweetness, which is perfect, because you can’t technically taste any apple juice.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Vegan Lemon Sherbert! Be sure to leave me feedback below after you make it, I really love hearing from you guys! You can also tag me with your photo on Instagram @thevegan8 and don’t forget to use my hashtag #thevegan8 in your caption, so it’s saved to my page and I don’t miss the notification! Happy sherbert eating!
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice I got exactly a cup from 7 lemons by using my juicer
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice special ingredient to give it that extra special flavor!
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or use canned low-fat coconut milk, shaken first
- 1 cup coconut creamer sold with the coffee creamers in the fridgerated section. OR SEE NOTE below for sub
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Note: If you prefer a less tart taste then sub the 1 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup apple juice with 3/4 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup apple juice instead. If you cannot find coconut creamer, then just sub with canned full fat coconut milk, making sure to shake the can really well first, so the water and cream are well mixed before measuring. OR you can make homemade cashew cream and use that in place of the creamer by adding 1 cup (140 g) raw cashews to 3/4 cup water to a high powered blender (like Vitamix) and blend until super smooth. Measure out the 1 cup for the recipe.
- Combine the freshly squeezed lemon juice and apple juice in a large cup and put in the fridge.
- Next, add the almond milk, coconut creamer, sugar, cornstarch and salt to a small pot and turn the heat to medium. As soon as the liquid starts to simmer, whisk for a couple of minutes continuously until the cornstarch and sugar have dissolved. Make sure the cornstarch has dissolved. Turn off the heat and pour the liquid into a bowl and place in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.
- Once it is completely chilled, add the liquid, lemon juice mixture and maple syrup to a blender. Pulse just for a minute until well combined. Pour into your ice cream maker and let it run for 25 minutes until a soft serve consistency is reached. Eat now or let firm up in the freezer. I let mine freeze for 2-3 hours and then ate it. I loved the consistency after about 3 hours. If you freeze it overnight, let it sit for 15 minutes or so at room temperature before eating. Enjoy!