This Vegan Sour Cream and Onion Dip is a classic recipe that is totally dairy-free and oil-free and perfect for chips, crackers, veggies and served at parties! Just 7 ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
VEGAN SOUR CREAM AND ONION DIP
I loved eating sour cream and onion dip growing up and have missed it for years. It is a classic that is fantastic served at parties and gatherings.
Well, let me tell you, this stuff is spot on!! It is tangy, creamy, bold in flavor just how I remember it.
I was eating it with a spoon. It also takes only about 10 minutes to make!
You only need 7 ingredients (plus salt and water) to make this amazing dairy-free sour cream and onion dip!
- vegan sour cream
- white onion
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- nutritional yeast
- low-sodium soy sauce
- green onions
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SOUR CREAM AND ONION DIP
Caramelize the onions first.
Add the onions to a blender with the remaining ingredients, except the green onions. Blend until it reaches the texture you desire. Fully smooth or with a bit of texture, it’s up to you.
Add the dip to a serving bowl, chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours minimum, overnight and the flavors will be even better.
Add the green onions. Serve with veggies (like carrots, celery and bell peppers), crackers or if wanting to go classic, potato chips!
MORE VEGAN DIPS
Vegan Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- 1 cup (8oz) vegan sour cream (I used the Forager brand sour cream-so delicious and oil-free!)
- 1 cup (120g) finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped green onion, for garnish
- I use this food scale.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, sprinkle of salt and cook, stirring often for about 8-10 minutes, until the onion begins to caramelize (turn brown). See photo for reference.
- Add the cooked onion to a food processor or high-powered blender, along with the rest of the ingredients (except the green onion).
- Blend until desired consistency. Some prefer their onion dip to be completely smooth, while some like it with some texture. I went with a little texture, but do as you prefer.
- Since some sour cream brand's thickness can vary, if needed, add only a tiny amount of water to blend. Taste and add any salt, if needed.
- Add the dip to a serving bowl and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours minimum, overnight and the flavors will be even better. It will be a little runny at this point but will firm up a lot as it chills.
- Garnish with the green onions. Serve with veggies (like carrots, celery and bell peppers), crackers or if wanting to go classic, potato chips! My daughter's favorite was with carrots and crackers.