The perfect Summer Stew from Jackie Sobon’s Vegan Yack Attack On the Go Cookbook! Use up gorgeous summer vegetables, easy and simple ingredients and ready in no time! This stew is healthy, vegan and so hearty. Serve alongside some delicious crusty bread for a satisfying meal!
I’m excited to share with you today a new cookbook from my blogger pal, Jackie Sobon, with Vegan Yack Attack. I shared a recipe from her 1st cookbook, Vegan Bowl Attack, 2 years back and here she is back with her 2nd book!
As you might have gathered from the title, her book is Plant-based Recipes for Your Fast-Paced Vegan Lifestyle. I don’t know about you, but I’m always in the mood for easy and quick recipes without much fuss. That is my own focus for my blog here, so this book had me extra excited.
Jackie’s new cookbook includes these amazing chapters:
- Vegan Eating Made Easy
- Quick Breakfast, Snacks, and Treats
- Prep-Ahead Recipes
- Lunch Box Stuffers
- Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
- Bulk Cooking
- Food on the Move
- Make Your Own Staples
These chapters focus on making your life easier, on-the-go lifestyle, bulk cooking or prepping ahead and not too much fuss. She has so many amazing and delicious recipes in this book. Some of the recipes that stand out to me are:
Vanilla Chip Buckwheat Bars (pg. 57)
Smoky Parmesan Popcorn (pg. 59)
Baked Falafel Collard Cups (pg. 84)
Bagel Hummus Veggie Sandwich (pg. 80)
Pita Pizza Trio (pg. 124)
Green Enchilada Casserole (pg. 148)
Teriyaki Adzuki Grill Packets (pg. 158) Can’t wait to try those!
My goodness, is your mouth watering like mine is yet??
It didn’t take me long to decide which recipe to pick to share with you all. Knowing my love for soup, I instantly wanted to share this Summer Stew. It is easy, fast and super tasty! I loved her use of several veggies so it was incredibly healthy and hearty too. It’s located in the 30 Minutes or Less chapter. I chuckled a bit too, because I also have a 30 minutes or less chapter in my own cookbook coming out in a couple of months!
What I really loved about this recipe is how many fresh veggies she uses. I love, love zucchini so I was excited to use a bunch of it in the soup. I also love the heartiness of it with the white beans. I dumped in a good amount of red pepper flakes and even some cayenne since I really love a kick. It was filling, yet light and refreshing at the same time. In other words, PERFECT for summer!
Thank you so much to Jackie for allowing me to share this recipe with all of my readers today. Recipe reprinted with permission from Vegan Yack Attack On The Go! © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. You can order Jackie’s book on Amazon!
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 cup 140 g diced onion
- 2 cups 280 g chopped zucchini
- 4 ounces 120 g green beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups 500 g chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups 315 g cooked corn kernels
- 2 cans 30 ounces, or 850 g white beans, plus liquid
- 1 cup 235 ml low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper optional1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Warm the oil (I just used a couple tablespoons of broth instead) in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, zucchini, and green beans to the pot, sautéing for 5 minutes or until the onions are mostly translucent. Next, stir the garlic, tomatoes, and corn into the vegetables, sautéing for 3 more minutes.
- Add the white beans plus liquid, vegetable broth, basil, parsley, black pepper, and optional red pepper to the pot. Simmer covered over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the stew and season with salt, plus more herbs if you prefer. Serve hot.
I pureed about half of the tomatoes before adding to the soup since I don't like too many chunks and wanted to really taste the tomato flavor throughout. I doubled the spices (as Jackie suggests when tasting if desired) and doubled the salt as well since my canned beans had none and added cayenne.
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY below for a chance to win your very own copy! You MUST be subscribed to my blog (subscribe in the red box below or on the right side bar) in order to qualify and be a US resident.
Don’t forget to PRE-ORDER my cookbook and get the 5 FREE BONUS Recipes Ebook today sent to your email! Click the photo for all the details about the book and where to send a copy of your receipt to for your bonus recipes!