This really is the best Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe ever! Use this on cakes, cupcakes, brownies or sandwiched in between cookies! The combo of vegan butter and shortening makes for a beautiful white frosting that isn’t overpowered by a chemical butter taste. It also holds up well at room temperature.
VEGAN VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
The key to the perfect vegan vanilla buttercream frosting is using a combo of vegan butter and shortening. It is the perfect frosting for these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes. I don’t love the taste of vegan butter, so using it combined with shortening not only gives the best flavor, but also the whitest frosting. Additionally, the structure is more beautiful and it pipes amazing. I first used this buttercream in this wedding cake (when I originally wrote the recipe) and these wedding cupcakes. I have since used it on these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes and wanted it to have its own post so it’s easy to find for you.
I originally wrote the frosting recipe for these Best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes 6 years ago, but back then, I used all butter, so I simply replaced half the butter with shortening and it’s the best frosting ever!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN VANILLA FROSTING
First, you will need to gather these 5 ingredients:
- vegan butter stick
- powdered sugar
- coconut milk or milk of choice
- white vanilla powder for the whitest frosting or vanilla extract
Step 1: You’ll need to set out the vegan butter on the counter so that it is soft and at room temperature before making the frosting. Cold vegan butter will not beat properly.
Step 2: To a large bowl, add the vegan butter and shortening and beat on low until just blended.
Step 3: Add the sugar about a cup at a time, blending on low, until fully mixed and smooth.
Step 4: Add the milk and vanilla and beat just until light and fluffy. Just a few more seconds.
This frosting will frost a dozen cupcakes or an 8 inch double layer cake just perfectly! It pipes beautifully and will hold its shape at room temperature for days. It is the perfect frosting for wedding cakes or cupcakes! It would be amazing on this Vegan Gluten-free Vanilla Cake!
OTHER VEGAN FROSTINGS TO TRY
- Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Espresso Truffle Frosting
- Vegan Coconut Cream Frosting
- Funfetti Coconut Butter Frosting
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- One 4oz vegan Earth Balance butter stick (1/2 cup, 112g)
- 1/2 cup (96g) Spectrum shortening (SEE NOTES)
- 2 1/2 cups (380g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) coconut milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon white vanilla powder for a white frosting or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use this white powder.)
- I use this scale.
Make sure to set out the vegan butter so that it is soft and at room temperature before making the frosting.
To a large bowl, add the vegan butter and shortening and beat on low until just blended.
Add the sugar about a cup at a time blending on low until it is all incorporated.
Add the milk and vanilla and beat just until light and fluffy.
- Cover with plastic wrap to keep it moist until ready to frost the cake if frosting the cakes/cupcakes the same day you make the frosting. Otherwise, store the frosting in the fridge and set out an hour before ready to use, as it will firm up and get hard in the fridge and needs to soften before frosting/piping a cake or cupcakes. This frosting will hold it's shape beautifully at room temperature.
Please note that I highly recommend using the Spectrum shortening. It is sold in many stores or online. The ONLY ingredient is palm fruit oil. I don't recommend Crisco, as it is multiple oils and ingredients, mainly soybean oil and will affect the texture outcome likely and be more greasy. The shortening cannot be subbed for coconut oil or more butter here, or the structure will not work as well.