This Vegan Walnut Basil Pasta is so meaty, full of flavor and ready in less than 30 minutes. Can be made gluten-free with pasta of your choice and is the perfect plant-based weeknight dinner!
VEGAN WALNUT BASIL PASTA
I love pasta, that is no secret. I also happen to love walnuts and basil just as much, so I’m excited to be sharing this Vegan Walnut Basil Pasta recipe with you all. This recipe comes from the cookbook, Vegan Reset, “The 28 Day Plan to Kickstart Your Healthy Lifestyle” by Kim-Julie Hansen. Kim is the brains behind the popular instagram account and website, Best of Vegan. She put together an amazing cookbook that teaches and guides you how to reset your healthy lifestyle, whether you are vegan or not. It is just what the title suggests, a 28-day meal plan to help get you on your way to eating healthier, plant-based meals. The book focuses on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and an abundance of all that plant-based eating has to offer.
The recipes are very simple, not complicated at all and use easy-to-find ingredients. Everything from smoothies, tacos, drinks, hearty bowls, sides, plant-based milks and even some desserts. Her book literally walks you through the 28-day plan on what to eat each day.
HOW THE BOOK IS LAID OUT
- Shopping Lists
- Meal Prep with daily recipes laid out for each week
- Chapter on Continuing with a Vegan Lifestyle packed full of information on ethics, the environment and health benefits
- The rest of the book is packed full of recipes
She also shares many tips in the book, such as exercise, journaling tips, shopping tips, stocking your pantry and fridge and meditation.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN WALNUT BASIL PASTA
Step 1: Sauce the veggies until tender.
Step 2: Add the tomatoes, walnuts, tomato pastes, Italian herbs and spices and cook for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Process in a food processor to desired texture. I processed mine into a thick sauce consistency.
Step 4: Serve with cooked pasta of choice.
This vegan walnut pasta sauce was so delicious and had a meaty texture, thanks to the walnuts. Blending them up really gave them a hearty texture. The flavor of the sauce was so delicious and my whole family loved it! The fresh basil brought it all together beautifully!
MORE VEGAN PASTA RECIPES
- Best Vegan Garlic Alfredo Sauce
- 1 Pot Creamy Cajun Pasta
- 20 Minute Vegan Alfredo
- Vegan Pimento Cream Sauce
- Creamy Chili Sauce with Pasta
- Easy Vegan Meatballs and Spaghetti
- Vegan Lemon Florentine Pasta
To buy Kim’s book, you can purchase it here!
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Vegan Walnut Basil Pasta
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I just used broth here, no oil)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato paste (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 6 ounces dried regular or gluten-free spaghetti or pasta of choice
- cherry tomatoes, halved, for garnish
- In a large pan, saute the red onion, green onion, and garlic in the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes NOTE: I just used broth here instead of the oil.
- Add the tomatoes, walnuts, tomato pastes, Italian herbs, and salt to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes. The tomatoes should add enough liquid, but feel free to add a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth if necessary. Add the fresh basil last.
- Transfer to a food processor and pulse the sauce with the dates (you can omit this step if you chop the dates very finely and simply add them to the pan). I wanted my sauce pretty smooth, so I blended it up to a thick, but still well textured sauce, as pictured.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Serve topped with the sauce, and garnish with more fresh basil and a few halved cherry tomatoes.