These Oil-free Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins are super easy to make, just 8 ingredients and are so rich and decadent! They are topped with a homemade vegan chocolate sauce.
If you love decadent chocolate treats, these are for you! These Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins and homemade chocolate sauce are no joke. This is reserved for serious chocolate lovers. They are oil-free, yet are very rich, making them perfect for Valentine’s Day.
For a fun Valentine’s Day treat, I also made some in these adorable heart-shaped silicone baking molds. My daughter really loves these!
I love baking for all types of allergies and if you are gluten-free, then definitely check out these Vegan Gluten-free Double Chocolate Muffins!
However, for those who like to bake with wheat flour, they are the perfect oil-free vegan chocolate muffins! If you are trying to bake oil-free, then check out all of my tips on How to Cook and Bake Without Oil.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
First, you will need to gather these easy 8 ingredients:
- whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- full-fat coconut milk
- maple syrup
- unsweetened applesauce
- vanilla extract
Would you just look at how incredibly moist these Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins are? I’m telling you…these are insanely chocolatey, rich and delicious! They are so soft and tender, making them the perfect texture.
We love to eat these vegan whole wheat chocolate muffins on their own. They are also incredible topped with this Vegan Homemade Chocolate Sauce for an extra decadent treat. I’ve made the sauce with both almond butter and peanut butter. Honestly though, the muffins are so rich, the sauce is just extra indulgence!
The chocolate sauce is also delicious drizzled on some Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
However, obviously, it’s delicious on these Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins.
Other Vegan Muffin recipes to try:
- Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups (160g) whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (48g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (180g) full-fat coconut milk (shake the can well first, this is crucial to the texture, so don't sub with another milk)
- 3/4 cup (240g) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (120g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (8g) vanilla extract
- I use this scale.
- Always use a scale for accuracy when baking, following MY gram weights listed. You never need cups, just the scale and bowl.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F (177°C and line a muffin pan with 12 nonstick liners. I use either parchment paper liners or Reynolds Stay-brite are best, as they never stick.
- Add the wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk very well. Add the milk, applesauce, vanilla and chocolate chips and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. They are done when they have puffed up and a toothpick comes out basically clean. Don't be confused between wet batter and the melted chocolate chips though.
- Let them cool for 15 minutes, as they will finish cooking and be too tender to eat right away. Cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, drizzle Vegan Homemade Chocolate Sauce on top if feeling super indulgent.