You’ll never need to buy jarred pizza sauce again. Like everrrrr.
This Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce really gives you no excuses. I’m so not kidding when I tell you I am addicted to this stuff. Why? It takes 5 minutes to make, 8 basic ingredients, super healthy and downright delicious. It is also oil-free. Score.
Now, here’s the thing. It only takes 5 minutes to make, and while you can heat it up or use it right away, I highly suggest making it the day before you want to use it because letting it sit overnight takes it to another level! The spices and herbs really marry together and it’s just GOOD.
Gorgeous and delicious.
I went really simple with my pizza. I pre-baked some bell peppers for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then I added the sauce, the cooked bell peppers and fresh curly kale to the pizza. Baked for another 10-15 minutes. You can use any pizza crust you like. I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Pizza Crust here because I had to use up the rest of the bag, but my favorite is my 4 Step Gluten-free Pizza Crust.
This goes good on pasta, obviously pizza, and even potatoes. Yes, try it. But my favorite way and currently, obsession, is an avocado toast party. Or, pizza toast. Holy moly. If you haven’t tried avocado toast, you are seriously missing out.
To make the pizza style toast, do this. Mashed avocado. Smoked paprika. Black pepper. Salt. Red pepper flakes. Pizza Sauce. TRY IT. Thank me later.
Does that not produce major salivation or what? Unless, of course you don’t like avocado.
2015…I’ll be eating Avocado Pizza Toast like nobody’s business. Best lunch ever.
You know the drill, I would love to hear your feedback on this super simple and delicious pizza sauce! Leave me feedback below.
Delicious Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 cups plain tomato puree mine has salt in it, I used an organic store bought jarred version
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt if your tomato sauce is salt-free, you may need to add more
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional, but so good
- Note: Make sure the tomato sauce you use does not already have herbs/spices added to it but is only tomato puree and maybe salt.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. You can use the sauce right away, or the next day as the flavor gets even better as it sits overnight.
- If using as a pizza sauce, just add it to your pre-baked pizza crust, add toppings and bake. If serving over pasta, just simply warm it over the stove first. If serving over toast, you can use it either cold or warm.
- To make the pizza-style toast as in my photos, add mashed avocado, smoked paprika. black pepper, salt, red pepper flakes and pizza Sauce. Thank me later.
Nutrition per 1/4 cup serving (makes 2 cups): 31.5 calories, 0 g fat, 1 g protein, 6.6 carbs, 5.5 g sugars, 1.1 g fiber, 439 mg sodium