This Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup Recipe is Oil-free, just 8 simple ingredients and ready in less than an hour! It is not your ordinary bland black bean soup, but loaded with flavor and the perfect texture!
EASY VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
No more bland black bean soup my friends. I’ve had some of those and nope, this one has so much flavor and the perfect texture. It’s not too runny and not too thick. Seriously, have you had a black bean soup where it’s like paste? I have a little trick for this one, I puree 2 cups of the soup and then mix it back into the soup and it creates the perfect texture.
This easy vegan black bean soup is also oil-free and super simple to make, like with all of my recipes. I love to share How to Cook and Bake Without Oil! Bonus, it is both hubby and kid-approved! If you love beans in your soup, then you must try my Smoky Sweet Potato Black-eyed Pea Soup!
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
You only need 8 easy ingredients (+salt & water):
- cooked black beans
- medium-heat salsa
- red onion
- tomato paste
- smoked paprika
- ground cumin
- dried oregano
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
Cook the red onion and garlic until soft.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring back to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
You will remove about 2 cups of the soup and puree in a food processor into a somewhat smooth consistency similar to applesauce.
Return it back to the soup and mix in. This creates the best texture, as it thickens up the soup, while still having remaining liquid and whole beans in tact.
Add the black bean soup serving bowls and top with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and fresh limes, if desired. Although the soup is absolutely delicious on it’s own, the toppings take it up a notch for presentation and extra flavor!
LOTS OF FLAVOR IN THIS BLACK BEAN SOUP
What makes this oil-free black bean soup so unbelievably delicious is the added smoked paprika and dried oregano, not something typically in a black bean soup, but it adds another dimension of flavor. I also added tomato paste for extra depth and keep it from being a boring, bland one-note black bean flavor. That with the salsa, cumin and lots of garlic and it truly even won over my husband!
I hope you all really love this Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup Recipe!
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES TO TRY:
- Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup
- Low-fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Lazy Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Sweet Potato & White Bean Curry Soup
- Lazy Day Tomato Bisque
- Easy Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- Tomato Rice Vegetable Soup
Vegan Black Bean Soup Recipe (Oil-free)
- Two 15oz cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed (OR 3 cups cooked, 510g)
- 1 packed cup (160g) finely diced red onion
- 5 extra large garlic cloves, minced (12g) (Don't be shy, lots of flavor in garlic)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (this may vary depending on your beans)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup (240g) medium-heat smooth salsa (IF your salsa is rather chunky, PUREE it first into a smooth consistency similar to applesauce, as you need and want the liquid and flavor to spread out into the soup)
- 3 tablespoons (45g) tomato paste
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- freshly chopped cilantro
- oil-free tortilla strips SEE DIRECTIONS
- Please follow these steps and the order of cooking and you will end up with an amazing soup. Have all of your ingredients ready to go, as the soup comes together rather quickly.
- To a large pot, add the onion and 6 tablespoons (90g) water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, and then add the garlic. Stir for 1-2 minutes until softened. If the water runs out, add just a tiny amount to keep the garlic from burning.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper and stir around for about 30 seconds until aromatic and the spices absorb the liquid.
- Quickly add the 2 1/2 cups water, salsa, tomato paste and beans and stir well until smooth.
- Turn the heat back to high and bring to a boil, once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat if needed if it's starting to stick at the bottom, as you don't want to cook the soup away. This will vary depending on your stove top.
- Remove from the heat. Scoop out about 2 scant cups of the bean soup and puree (as pictured) in a food processor. Add this back to the soup and stir in. This creates the best texture, as it thickens up the soup, while still having remaining liquid and whole beans in tact. At this point, taste it. Since I used low-sodium beans, mine needed more salt and I added another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and it was perfect. Depending on your beans and salsa, yours may vary.
- Add to bowls and top with avocado, cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- If desired, you can also top with oil-free tortilla strips. Preheat an oven to 400°F and line a pan with parchment paper. Cut a few yellow corn tortillas into 1/2 inch thick strips. Lightly brush with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt. Bake until crispy and starting to turn golden brown, 5-8 minutes. Top over the soup and serve immediately.