A delicious quick and Easy Homemade Salsa Recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make. Made with fresh jalapenos, tomatoes and lime juice, you’ll never buy store-bought again!
I’m a sucker for salsa, any kind really, but I really love to make my own as well. This easy homemade salsa recipe takes just 10 minutes and is so amazingly delicious, not to mention, healthy!
I also have a delicious Restaurant-Style Chipotle Salsa in my cookbook, but today’s recipe uses all raw, fresh ingredients. So, they are different, but both delicious. Let’s make some salsa!
These tomatoes drew me in when I saw them. It inspired me to create this salsa recipe. Just a gorgeous rainbow of tomatoes waiting to be turned into an easy homemade salsa recipe.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PICO DE GALLO AND SALSA?
It drives me bonkers when I see pico de gallo recipes called salsa. I see it all the time and while they have similar ingredients, the texture is totally different. Pico de gallo is all raw chopped veggies (sometimes fruit) and chunky and is sometimes used as a filling. Whereas, the very definition of salsa is “sauce” in Spanish and is saucy with much more liquid.
Not to mention, the two taste very different. I have never been to a Mexican restaurant in my life where they serve salsa and chips and it is a bowl of chunky pico de gallo. Salsa also has a stronger acidic and tomato flavor. Chips and salsa are a food group, didn’t you know?
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE SALSA
I have a couple of things that are required for me to declare it to be my “perfect” salsa.
It has to use fresh ingredients and have a fairly smooth consistency. I am NOT a fan of huge chunks in my salsa…reason being, I don’t like the texture of tomatoes. However, I LOVE tomato flavor and sauce.
To make this easy homemade salsa, you need a food processor and fresh ingredients like these:
- red onion
- grape tomatoes (I used sweet brown grape and a few of the orange, use what you like)
- ground cumin
- fresh jalapeno
- fresh lime juice
- fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon raw agave or syrup
DON’T SKIP THE CILANTRO
Oh, and it’s gotta have cilantro too. Now, I’m not a huge fan of cilantro in itself, but it just belongs in salsa, especially this quick and easy homemade salsa recipe. It really improves the overall flavor.
This quick and easy homemade salsa recipe is fabulous with just chips, on tacos or my favorite way is just to heat up a tortilla and get it really warm and dip it in the salsa…SO good.
Other Dips for Your Chips:
Easy Homemade Salsa Recipe
- 1/2 packed cup 80g fresh red onion
- 1 1/2 heaping cups grape tomatoes 272g or 1 pint, I used sweet brown grape and a few of the orange, but you can use cherry or grape, it's fine!
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno use less for minor heat, adjust to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 22g fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic use the size preferred depending on your love for garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon raw agave or syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder optional, but I love the extra flavor of heat it gives and color
- This is the perfect amount of measurements to suit our taste but feel free to adjust the lime juice or cilantro to your liking. With the tablespoon of fresh chopped jalapeno, it gives a nice kick to it without feeling overpowering. Feel free to adjust.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until desired consistency. I like mine more saucy, than chunky. Serve either at room temperature or slightly heat up. It is delicious warm! Serve with chips, tacos, omelettes or burritos!