This is the perfect Vegan Red Lentil Spinach Soup for when you are feeling lazy or pressed for time, but still want something healthy, hearty and filling! This soup is SO easy and fast to make and very delicious, using plant-based ingredients. It is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free and high in protein!
*This post was originally published on 7-11-2012 and has been updated with better instructions and new photos.
VEGAN RED LENTIL SPINACH SOUP
I’m a big lover of soup…summertime, winter, it doesn’t matter. I don’t believe it has to be chilly outside to want to curl up to a good bowl of soup. Most recipes call for traditional green lentils, which are fine, but this particular soup is screaming for the red ones. I love the flavor and texture of them because they are creamier than the green lentils. I do love green lentils though and use them in my Sweet Potato Lentil Soup.
This vegan red lentil soup packs 13 grams protein per serving and only 1 g fat!! It is filling and wholesome.
So, yes, try to find the red lentils which are usually in self serving bins, or the healthy food/organic sections of your grocery store. The beautiful color cooks away mostly, so I add a healthy amount of smoked paprika to keep the soup vibrant and give a wonderful smoky flavor.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- Vegan Green Lentil Carrot Soup
- Healthy Vegetable Soup With Rice
- Lazy Day Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Vegan Cauliflower Curry Soup
- Lazy Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Smoky Sweet Potato Black-eyed Pea Soup
- Low-fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Healthy Potato Carrot Tomato Soup
- Easy Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
*This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure policy here.
Vegan Red Lentil Spinach Soup
This is the perfect Vegan Red Lentil Spinach Soup for when you are feeling lazy or pressed for time, but still want something healthy, hearty and filling! This soup is SO easy and fast to make and very delicious, using plant-based ingrediennts. It is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free and high in protein!
- 1 cup (160g) finely diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cups organic low-sodium vegetable broth (I use the Pacific brand because it's so good in flavor)
- 2 cups (360g) red lentils, rinsed well under cold water
- 4 large handfuls (150g) fresh spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- I use this scale.
Add a few tablespoons of water to a large pot over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the onion and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
Add the garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the broth and rinsed lentils and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer, cover with a lid slightly tilted to let some steam escape. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the lentils are just tender, but still have their shape and a bite to them. You do not want them mushy.
Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Add the lemon juice (starting with 2 tablespoons).
Taste and add any more lemon or salt, if needed.