Oh, what an exciting post I have for you all today! It's a new year with lots of exciting things to come on the blog. First up, is this special recipe that I wrote for my favorite home store ever, Pottery Barn. When they contacted me to create a healthy, simple recipe to kick off the new year, I jumped at the chance!
Everybody is always making New Year's resolutions and thinking about diet changes or exercise routines. Most people think that you have to eat nothing but boring salads to achieve a healthier lifestyle. Well, I wanted to showcase a recipe that was much more interesting than salad, and at this time of year when it's cold, a soup is perfect.
This soup is incredibly high in protein and nearly fat-free. It is not only delicious, but an incredible healthy start to the new year.
This soup has Italian herbs throughout, a fresh tomato base, hearty white beans, textured rice and fresh basil. You will feel full and satisfied and not bored by it, I promise. I used Pottery Barn's gorgeous Vintage Wood Carved Serving Bowls. I wanted to serve the soup in something other than your expected white bowls. I'm a huge fan of distressed, worn woods and pieces and these bowls are just beautiful.
Featured in the photos:
I love the classic look with rustic elements, but always clean looking.
For some ambiance, I used their Flicker Flameless Wax Pillar Candles .
Can't wait to hear what you think of this Hearty Italian White Bean Basil Soup! Leave me feedback below and do the star rating in the comments and you can also tag me on Instagram with hashtag #thevegan8. I love seeing your amazing creations of my recipes!
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth (240 mL)
- ½ cup dry long grain brown rice (72 g)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (1440 mL)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (160 g, you will need 1 cup)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (you will need a heaping tablespoon)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (I added 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper)
- Optional: I love a little heat to everything, so I added a heaping tsp chili powder, or chili flakes would work too)
- 2 15 oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil (don't leave this out, it really brings it all together!)
- I used an Italian spice blend that you can find at any grocery store. Mine is a combo of basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, savory, fennel, sage and marjoram. Some versions have red pepper, so I would avoid those as it could make the soup really spicy.
- In a medium pot, prepare the rice first by bringing 1 cup broth to a boil and then add the rice, salt and stir and immediately turn to the lowest heat setting and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until all the broth is evaporated. Return the lid and let it sit covered 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, chop your vegetables. Add the 6 cups broth to a large pot with only the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to medium-high and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes, cover and cook on medium-low for another 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the drained beans, fresh basil and cooked rice. Stir well and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, let it cook on high for 5-10 more mins until heated through. Taste and add any additional spices if necessary, I didn't add anymore. Serve immediately and garnish with more fresh basil, if desired. Be sure to leave feedback below in the comments and star rate the recipe after you make it! Thank you!
*Nutrition per serving: 271.4 calories, 14.12 g protein, .6 g fat, 51.54 carbs, 6.2 g sugars