This Easy Vegan Creamy Curry Rice Soup is made in 1 pot, packed full of flavor, richness, dairy-free cashew cream and is full of curry flavor, hearty rice and fresh carrots. This soup comes together in under an hour, is so decadent, it defines comfort food!
EASY VEGAN CREAMY CURRY SOUP
Today’s recipe involves 3 of my favorite things. Creamy food, curry and 1 pot meals. I love easy vegan meals and vegan soups. This is no surprise to you how much I love curry. This recipe I literally threw together when I was craving curry. But I wanted it really simple and not the typical way I make it, but rather in a soup form, while using similar ingredients. Doesn’t get more simple than when it’s a 1 pot meal. It’s easy cleanup.
Curry is normally served over some rice or grains, but this time I wanted all of that in the comfort of a hearty and super creamy soup.
Ever since I created my own Homemade Curry Spice Blend, I have been using it like a mad woman. It is sooo good and makes dinners a breeze. If you don’t want to make it, then you can always use a yellow curry powder from the store, but just know that most are not as fabulous as my blend, haha.
VEGAN COMFORT FOOD
This soup is the epitome of comfort food. It is SO creamy, thick and hearty. So creamy that it’s hard to believe this curry rice soup is both dairy-free and oil-free. Thanks to homemade cashew cream, it is decadent and healthy, at the same time. It has a wonderful depth of flavor, thanks to my curry spice blend and a good kick of spice. The heat is balanced out by the rich cashew cream and fresh lemon juice.
OTHER VEGAN CURRY RECIPES
- Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Coconut Curry
- Sweet Potato White Bean Curry Soup
- Easy Vegan Quick Curry
- Vegan Thai Green Sweet Potato Curry
I really hope you love and devour this Easy Vegan Creamy Curry Rice Soup!
OTHER VEGAN SOUPS TO TRY
- Hearty Italian White Bean Basil Soup
- Lazy Red Lentil Curry Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Hearty Veggie Potato Stew
- Low-fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave feedback below and share your pic on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thevegan8 #thevegan8!
Easy Vegan Creamy Curry Rice Soup
- 1 packed cup (140g) finely chopped white onion
- 5 large cloves garlic minced (17g) (don't skimp, lots of flavor)
- 3 1/2 cups (840g) low-sodium veggie broth, added at separate times (you can use water if you want, but broth gives more flavor and you'll need more salt)
- 3 long carrots, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (176 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of my homemade yellow curry powder or use store-bought
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt, separated
- 1/2 cup (100g) white jasmine rice
- 1 cup cashew cream (TO MAKE: 1/2 cup raw cashews (70 g + 1 cup (240g) water blended-see Note)
- Two 15 oz cans low-sodium white beans, drained/rinsed OR 3 cups cooked, 510g (cannellini beans)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional Garnish: fresh cilantro, cayenne pepper
- I use this scale.
- If you are allergic to nuts, you can sub the cashew cream for full-fat coconut milk instead. No light milks here folks! Just shake the can first so you don't get the watery part and know that it will have a slight coconut taste.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, you will need to soak your cashews overnight. Drain and rinse. Then add to a blender or food processor with the 1 cup water and blend until completely smooth.
- Prepare all your veggies (chop them) and have your ingredients all ready before beginning, as the soup steps move rather quickly. Add your onion, garlic and ONLY 1/2 cup broth to a pot over medium heat. Once it begins bubbling, let it cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots and another 1/2 cup broth, cover with a lid and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Most of the broth should be gone after the 5 minutes.
- Add ONLY 1 tablespoon of the curry powder, garam masala, ONLY 1 teaspoon of the salt and stir it around constantly for about a minute to infuse the veggies with the curry spices.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth and the rice. Bring to a high boil and once boiling cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes just until the rice is tender. Check a couple of times during cooking to stir.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, cashew cream, beans, lemon juice and black pepper. Cook on low another 5 minutes or so just to heat through. It should be really thick and creamy. Note: Cashew cream does thicken more than coconut. If you want yours thinner, add more broth and add more spices. Taste and add any additional lemon juice,salt or spices.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, if desired. This soup will thicken a lot over night because of the rice, so I add extra broth the next day and reheat on the stove at medium-low and adjust salt/spice if needed. The flavors really intensify overnight so mine didn't need any extra spice.
Comment and Rate This Recipe