This Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is rich and unique in flavor by using both sweet and gold potatoes. Easy to make, just 8 ingredients and is dairy-free and oil-free.
CREAMY VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP
Sometimes, the most delicious recipes can be the simplest. Potato soup is simple, but so comforting, especially during the holidays, don’t you agree? This vegan creamy sweet potato soup recipe uses both sweet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes….the combo is so delicious. The yukon gold potatoes lend a buttery taste. Super simple, few ingredients and so delicious. Bonus that it is dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free and ready in less than an hour. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than soup!
This oil-free creamy potato soup gets an extra boost of flavor and nutrition from the yukon gold potatoes. Most people know how good sweet potatoes are for you…but did you also know that yukon gold potatoes are an excellent source of nutrition?
The yukon gold potatoes also have a mild buttery flavor to them naturally. They have a lot more flavor than red potatoes or russet, for example, so you really want to use the yukon gold, or the soup will be more bland.
ARE POTATOES HEALTHY?
Potatoes way too often get a bad rap for being unhealthy because they are a carb. But, fear not, potatoes have some amazing health benefits. Now come on, the carbs that are in potatoes are hardly the equivalent of carbs in junk food or sugary desserts. Remember, there are healthy carbs and unhealthy carbs. Here is why potatoes are the good carbs:
- Source of iron
- Great source of fiber
- High in potassium (1 medium potato contains about 770 mg)
- High in Vitamin C (1 medium potato contains about 50% of our daily RDA! Vitamin C is also needed to absorb iron into the body)
- Fat-free (yippee!)
- Filling and satisfying
Yay for healthy soup that tastes amazing, thick and creamy, healthy, plant-based and whole foods!
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP?
For this super delicious Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup, you’ll need only 8 main ingredients:
- yukon gold potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- white onion
- low sodium vegetable broth
- tomato paste
- nutritional yeast
Start out by cooking the onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat with some water. Cook until tender.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
Bring to a boil and once boiling, turn to low heat and cover.
Simmer for 20-25 mins, or until the potatoes are completely tender.
Blend with an immersion blender to a creamy consistency. Or you can use a regular blender, just don’t blend it too long into a complete liquid.
Let me know what you think of this Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup!
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
- Low-Fat Smoky Broccoli Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chunky Potato and Zucchini Soup
- Vegan Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Vegan Lentil Lemon and Turmeric Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- 8 Ingredient Lentil Soup (Reader fave!)
This recipe was originally posted in February 2014 and has been slightly updated.
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup (Oil-free)
- 1 packed cup (160g) white onion, finely diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced (about a tablespoon)
- 1 3/4 lbs peeled and chopped yukon gold potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks (about 5 heaping cups (plus a couple extra potatoes for toasting as garnish if desired)
- 2 lbs peeled and chopped sweet potatoes ((about 6 heaping cups
- 6 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (use a well-flavored one here! I like the Pacific brand)
- 5 tablespoons (75g) tomato paste, not tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons (18g) nutritional yeast (Highly recommend the Sari or Foods Alive brand-they are non-fortified and have the best flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (this makes a TON of soup, so that is the reason for the salt amount)
- chopped green onions for garnish
- I use this scale.
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a spicy kick
- Have all ingredients chopped and ready to go. Make sure all the potatoes are chopped into small 1/2 inch chunks similarly so they cook evenly.
- Add the onion to a large pot (this makes a TON) with 1/2 cup of the broth over medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (including the remaining 6 cups of broth), except the green onions, to the pot and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and once boiling, turn to low heat and cover. Simmer for 20-25 mins, or until the potatoes are completely soft and tender. (see tip below for while the soup is simmering)
- Blend the whole soup with an immersion blender to a creamy consistency. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender, but you'll have to do it in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your blender. This makes so much that you will not be able to blend it all up at once.
- Tip: While the soup is cooking, chop up a couple more yukon gold potatoes into small 1/2 inch pieces, season with salt/pepper, and bake at 425° (on parchment paper) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. I love the texture it added. Top the soup with the roasted potatoes and green onions. So good!
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.